OpenZimbra project

Hi folks,

as somebody who did a lot of deep customization and integration
with Zimbra (also leading the SW development for a former client,
who's one of the largest Zimbra integration partner in Europe),
I've started some little project on cleaning up the codebase,
repairing the build (current codebase still doesn't even compile
w/o additional patching) and supporting other target platforms
or distros.

One of my primary goals (beyond getting a _reliable_ build and
packaging) is to get rid of all the bundled 3rdparty stuff, which
is already provided by distros.

For example, remeber the Hearbleed disaster: it took several days
for Zimbra to provide some solution (where usual server distros
already shipped security updates within a day, which automatically
had been pulled in by tools like 'unattendet-upgrades'). And then
it operators to _manually_ download some strange script, which in
turn downloads a few files (all via insecure channels!) and directly
replaces them in the system, circumventing the package manager.
Obviously, such mess wouldn't have happend if OpenSSL wouldn't
have been bundled in the first place.

Once these things are cleaned up, I intend to add additional
interfaces for customizations (things I've previously done by
direct core customizations on an already built installation),
for example:

* define available frontends per user/cos/domain
* external (user-local) address book providers, configurable
  per user/cos/domain
* external routing/filtering policy checking (eg. in scenarios
  where only certain communications relations are allowed)
* private per user and zimlet properties (that aren't accessible
  by the frontend/javascript side)
* in-depth mail action tracking (also working with forwards, etc)
* auto-accepting of shares, configurable by user/cos/domain
* encrypted message storage (incl. sharing, etc)
* automatic storage deduplication

For now, the project is mainly a one-man show with some public
git repo, but everybody's invited to join in.

https://gitorious.org/open-zimbra

greetings
--
Enrico Weigelt,