Re: Current Versions

Pablo,

Thanks again for the additional information. We are definitely delaying our upgrade until our next window.

Hurstel

From: "Pablo E Garaitonandia" <peg11@psu.edu>
To: "Hurstel Howard" <hhoward@aurora.edu>
Cc: "zimbra-hied-admins" <zimbra-hied-admins@sfu.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 10:40:09 AM
Subject: Re: Current Versions

Hurstel,
   I did not encounter any issues with the transition to MariaDB.  I can tell you this, since this is a major upgrade for you I would plan on it taking a long time, depending on how fast your disk is, number of users,  and how beefy your virtual machines are. My installation took about 6 hours. The installation scripts make quite a lot of changes to the database and it does it one mboxgroup at a time. So it is very time consuming. Also make sure that you get a new license from your sales guy. 8.6.0 and up require new licenses. Some other things:

1) Install Libre Office on your message store otherwise you will get a missing package error half way through the installation.

yum install -y libreoffice libreoffice-headless

For more info
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/High_Fidelity_Document_Preview

Note it will check for these packages half way through the installation. It will not check at the beginning of the installation like other required packages.

2) During my installation I had issues with the installation script not liking my new license. I had to upgrade my message stores with the license activation check disabled. At one point on one of my message stores upgrades stopped the installation and prompted me for a license file. I pointed it to the correct license file and the installation still did not like it but it continued with the installation.  In the end I just uploaded the file to the admin console and that worked out fine. Not a big deal but when you are in the middle of an upgrade these little surprises can startle you.

3) After the upgrade we had a lot of complaints from users about the name completion in the compose window in the web ui. In 8.0.X when you start typing a name in the "To" field you can hit tab for it to do the name completion. In 8.6.0 you have to hit enter. I know we are splitting hairs at that point but  a lot of users did not like that change. I still find myself hitting tab :)

4) Test the zimbra connector for outlook before upgrading. We have had mixed reports about it crashing outlook to working just fine, especially with Windows 10. It all depends on your version of Office, 32 bit or 64 bit,  and your Windows 10 build.

5) The new windows 10 browser does not work with the web interface. The web ui is unusable with that browser.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Regards,
Pablo Garaitonandia
Penn State University
ITS, Administrative Information Services
(814) 865-6385
pablo@psu.edu