Begin forwarded message:
Date: January 10, 2011 6:53:13 PM PST
Subject: [d-ssc] Opening for a Biostatistician - Montreal
Our research team wishes to hire a biostatistician for a large research
program in epidemiology. This program evolves around PROTEuS, a
Montreal-based case-control study exploring the role of environmental
risk factors for prostate cancer. Complex databases including 4,000
subjects and containing hundreds of variables on lifestyle, general and
occupational environments, as well as genetic factors (GWAS), need to be
constituted and analyzed. This program calls upon the collaboration of a
dozen of reputed researchers from INRS-Institut Armand-Frappier,
Université de Montréal, McGill University, University of California at
Berkeley and US NIH/National Cancer Institute. Nearly 5M$ have been
granted to support this research program. The biostatistician will work
in close collaboration with a dynamic team of some 20 people, including
researchers, highly qualified research personnel and epidemiology
students (MSc, PhD and postdoc). Under the responsibility of the
principal investigator, Marie-Elise Parent, the biostatistician will:
BIOSTATISTICIAN – RESEARCH PROGRAM IN EPIDEMIOLOGY
Quebec Research Program for Prostate Cancer Prevention
Education : Ph.D. or M.Sc. in
- Plan, coordinate and set up analytical databases.
- Coordinate the documentation of analytical databases.
- Prepare statistical summaries.
- Coordinate data transfer to researchers and students.
- Conduct statistical analyses under the direction of researchers.
- Assist researchers and students with their analyses.
- Keep track, in the literature, of novel statistical approaches
relevant to the data at hand.
- Participate in the preparation of scientific articles and grant
- Participate in the dissemination of findings in the context of
research seminars and conferences, journal clubs, Web site updates, etc.
- Participate in the purchase of computer equipment.
- Participate in the maintenance of the computer park and data
1. Knowledge of common
statistical analysis software (e.g., SAS, SPSS, Stata, R, etc.)
2. Experience in the data analysis of
complex epidemiological data.
3. Knowledge of epidemiological
4. Experience in the analysis of
case-control data (desirable).
5. Experience in the statistical
handling of measurement error, correlated and repeated measures,
time-dependant variables, multiple testing, etc.
6. Excellent organization
7. Ability to work in a team.
8. Ability to work in a bilingual
(French and English) environment.
Location (North shore of Montreal):
Epidemiology and biostatistics unit
531, Boul. des Prairies
Laval (Qc) H7V 1B7
Schedule : 9:00 to 17:00 (35 hours/week)
Type of position : Under contract, for an expected period of
at least 5 years
Start date : January 2011, or soon after
Salary : According to the collective agreement at
INRS. Several benefits, including pension plan.
Applicants should send their CV, along with a letter describing their
interest in the position, to:
Marie-Elise Parent, Ph.D.
Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial support : Cancer Research Society / MDEIE / Fonds de la
recherche en santé du Québec & Canadian Cancer Society
Marie-Élise Parent, Ph.D.
Professeure titulaire / Full professor
Institut national de la recherche scientifique
Unité d'épidémiologie et biostatistique
531, boul. des Prairies
Laval (Québec) H7V 1B7
T 450 686-5676
F 450 686-5599
d-ssc mailing list