OVERSEAS PLACEMENT: Statistical Research Officer, Jamaica
Bureau of Women’s Affairs
funding eligibility requirements :
Must be eligible to work in Canada
Length of placement:
Fluent in English- Level 4
To self-assess your level please see
the VOLUNTEER’s ROLE
- Identify and/or develop measurable gender equality indicators
- Consult with international and regional standards and guidelines in relation to the development of gender indicators/statistics e.g. UNECLAC, CARICOM
- Assist the Director of Policy & Research Dept in systematic collection and analysis of gender disaggregated data
- Work with the Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN), Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ), other statistical departments within sectoral ministries and the gender focal points in these ministries
- Access and analyse gender related data from available data sets & original data; develop user-friendly data base/sets
- Analyse quantitative data using relevant statistical principles and tests and report findings
Prepare findings from data analysis in presentations and reports
- Conduct training of Policy & Research Staff regarding gender disaggregated data methods and analysis
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Degree in Statistics /Social Research or related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience in quantitative research and quantitative/statistical data analysis
- Strong policy analysis skills
- Data base design and management skills is major asset
- Training in policy analysis and gender and development is desirable
TRAINING AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad. This includes:
· Attendance at a CUSO-VSO assessment day (candidates are expected to cover the first $150 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs).
· Travel and accommodation costs associated with five day pre-departure training course held in Ottawa.
· Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency).
· Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and health insurance.
· Accommodation while overseas.
· A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed.
· Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
Please apply online at http://www.cuso-vso.org/volunteer/apply-online/, quoting referral LAC0217-0009/0001and Statistical Research Officer of the placement.