Invest in your career. Join the Canadian Medical Protective Association.
Interested in working for a national association dedicated to Canadian physicians? Consider joining the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA). A valued contributor
to the healthcare system since 1901, the CMPA is firmly committed to protecting the professional integrity of physicians and promoting safer medical care.
The CMPA offers rewarding job opportunities within a well-established, highly respected organization.
Current job opening:
Health Economist Statistician
Terms: Regular, full-time position with benefits and pension
Job Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Reporting to the Manager, Business Analytics, the Health Economist Statistician supports the achievement of the Association’s strategic objectives by developing,
implementing and conducting enhanced statistical analyses, and identifying the study conclusions and recommendations to help inform corporate level decision-making. This will involve studying and evaluating various aspects of the medical liability system,
including cost-effectiveness, efficiency and cost driver studies.
The Health Economist Statistician will be responsible for ensuring appropriate health economic methods and analyses are used to address questions related to costs,
and that study conclusions and recommendations are identified to help further the Association’s objectives.
The Health Economist Statistician has proven abilities to support and lead departmental initiatives involving advanced health economic and statistical analyses techniques,
including economic evaluations, quantitative and qualitative analyses, multivariate quantitative analyses such as data mining, predictive modelling, and time series forecasting and simulation. Strong analytic and programming skills
and experience in using a relational database are essential.
The Health Economist Statistician will be responsible for writing and delivering sound analytical reports. Strong verbal and written communication
skills, including business writing, are required. The Health Economist/Statistician will also be required to present the results of analyses and associated recommendations to senior management and leadership of key business units within the Association.
As an integral member of a multidisciplinary team, the Health Economist Statistician works collaboratively with team members to ensure business analytics delivered to the client is accurate,
timely and relevant.
Activities the Health Economist Statistician are involved with include, but are not limited to:
- Leads the development of an appropriate plan for each required analysis, identifying appropriate timelines, internal and external resources
required to contribute to the analysis and methods to use.
- Designs studies by considering the objectives of the project, the characteristics of the available data, the methodologies and techniques
- Understands industry trends and the business at the level needed to proactively identify areas of business opportunities and analytical
needs of clients.
Data Development and Preparation
- Develops robust, accurate and precise methodologies and techniques using internal and external data. Recognizes and reports, to the Manager
of Business Analytics, future requirements for new data elements or possible predictors. Explores new data sources and makes recommendations as to their integration into the modelling database.
- Reviews, assesses, and modifies new statistical modelling techniques that are currently not being used within the medical-legal risk management
field to accurately predict risk within the CMPA context.
- Leads health economic and data analyses by determining which type of evaluation technique or analysis is most suitable, and evaluating
the predictive models and estimates that are developed to ensure they are within acceptable levels of accuracy.
- Leads analyses of cost drivers and predicts future costs related to medical legal expenses, and evaluates the efficiency and cost-effectiveness
of the system
- Leads other economic analyses using the most appropriate method; considers outcome measures and the application and interpretation of
Support and Assistance
- Coaches and mentors other statisticians/modelers regarding health economics and statistical methods.
- Maintains documentation concerning projects, data preparation and analysis and reports.
- Liaises with others, such as with the other Statisticians and the Business Intelligence Analysts, within the department, regarding: data
reliability, methodologies and baseline source studies.
Report and Recommend
- Prepares written analytical reports summarizing the analysis, including the presentation of findings, techniques, study conclusions and
- Develops management level reports summarizing key findings and implications for the Association, including sound recommendations for the
consideration of senior management
- Determines best ways to present findings in order to assist with corporate decision-making.
10 years’ experience, including a minimum of 5 years’ work experience in a healthcare related industry
Master’s Degree in quantitative sciences such as Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Bio-Statistics, Epidemiology or equivalent
Extensive and advanced knowledge of health economic methods and techniques, multivariate statistical analysis including:
Health economics methods: cost-minimization analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, cost-utility analysis and cost-benefit analysis
Statistical methods: descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, variable clustering and data reduction techniques, knowledge of data transformation techniques and when they should
be used, solid foundation in, and detailed knowledge of, research/modelling methodology and in-depth knowledge of multivariate analysis techniques
A strong interest in applying quantitative methods to real-world research problems in the healthcare industry
In-depth experience with analysis and report writing, including experience summarizing data analyses for consideration by senior management
Experience in conducting business analysis projects including the design, execution, analysis, reporting and presentation of findings
Familiarity with at least one statistical programming language (e.g. SAS, Stata, R, S-PLUS)
Selected candidates will be required to complete a skills assessment.
Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of academic and professional qualifications.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Accessibility in the Workplace: The CMPA is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, including those with disabilities,
by striving to prevent and remove barriers to accessibility. The CMPA will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs.
Want to know more?
Learn more about the CMPA and this opportunity by visiting us at:
How to apply:
Please forward your resume
quoting posting #16-014
by March 31, 2016
Human Resources Business Partner
875 Carling Ave | 875, av. Carling | Ottawa ON K1S 5P1
613-725-9965 | 1-877-725-9965 ext. 298
Fax/Téléc : 613-725-1300 | 1-877-763-1300
email@example.com | www.cmpa-acpm.ca