Constitution of the Life Drawing Cartel
I. Purposes and Aims
- The Life Drawing Cartel is a student-run life-drawing club sponsored by the Simon Fraser Student Society. The mission of the Cartel focuses on improving life-drawing skills in a fun and relaxed drawing environment. The Cartel provides open studio figure drawing classes lasting two hours, excursions, colloquia on relevant themes, and a semester-end gallery showcase.
- Membership is open to all SFU students in good standing with the Simon Fraser Student Society. The membership fee is two (2) dollars per semester.
- Membership is also open to other persons, including staff, faculty, alumni, and community members of SFU, with a membership fee of five (5) dollars per semester.
- A member may be expelled from the club by a vote of at least 2/3 quorum. The duration of the penalty must be determined before the expulsion vote is conducted. An expelled member has the right to appeal, and may rejoin the club if 2/3 quorum vote to permit this.
- The Executive shall be constituted of a President and a Scribe/Treasurer; or a President, a Scribe, and a Treasurer.
- All members of the Executive must be student members of the club.
- All members of the Executive shall be voted into their positions via an election or by-election. For single nomination purposes, a yes/no vote shall be held. No member can be appointed to an Executive position unless the appointment is less than a month in duration.
- Responsibilities of the Executive members are as follows:
- President: shall conduct all Executive or general meetings; is ex-officio member of all committees within the club; is responsible for promoting the club to the campus community; is responsible for the engagement of models and instructors for life-drawing workshops.
- Scribe: shall record minutes of all meetings; is responsible for club correspondence.
- Treasurer: keeps a record of allocation of club funds; periodically checks and updates the club asset list; shall give an account of the club's financial standing and make the record books open to the club or to the SFSS if requested to do so.
- Any Executive member can be impeached by a vote of at least 2/3 quorum. Reinstating a member can be done by a similar vote.
- A quorum of at least 50% + 1 member of the total membership, or one Executive member and 10% of the total membership, is required for an official meeting.
- Quorum for the Life Drawing Cartel is __ or, with a member of the Executive, __.
- At least two official meetings must be called per semester.
- Notice of a meeting shall be given the previous meeting, or be advertised in any of the Peak, the Club Notice Boards, the campus televisions, email, or by use of posters or banners.
- Minutes shall be recorded for all meetings.
V. Elections and by-elections
- An election will be held at least once per year.
- The results of any election must be forwarded to the SFSS in order to secure continued funding.
- The club's elections will take place during the first meeting of each semester.
- Executive positions can be held by any member of the club.
- Votes may be cast by secret ballot or by a simple show of hands. Majority vote wins. In the case of a tie, the chair casts the deciding vote, or the member with the least votes drops out and votes are recast.
- If for any reason an Executive position becomes vacant, a by-election for that position will be held. This is not required if less than one month is left before the next scheduled election; instead, a member may be appointed to the position by the Executive.
- Notice of the proposed amendments to this constitution must be given at the meeting prior to the one in which they are to be discussed.
- Amendments to the constitution require a vote of 2/3 quorum.
- This club will be dissolved if a vote of 2/3 quorum votes to do so, or if club attendance falls below SFSS standards.
- In the event of the club's dissolution, all club assets become property of the SFSS.
VIII. Special Club Policies
- Membership in the Life Drawing Cartel entitles an individual to two-hour life-drawing sessions at a cost of four (4) dollars; non-members pay six (6) dollars per two-hour session. Members may also purchase a drawing pass for the cost of forty (40) dollars per semester. A drawing pass allows for free admittance to all life-drawing sessions offered by the Life Drawing Cartel.
- Figure models engaged to pose for life-drawing sessions shall be remunerated at a rate of fifteen (15) dollars per hour.
This constitution has been ratified by the required vote as of: ___________________________