Newsletter: BioCanRx | Fall 2016 (Volume 1, Issue 2)

The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are forwarding to our e-mail list members:

The latest information regarding the BioCanRx research network and biotherapeutic research.
View this email in your browser
Fall is near and good things are happening!
It has been a busy month since our first newsletter.

Our Research Management Committee (RMC) met in early September to review letters of intent (LOIs) and full applications. Their recommendations for project funding will go to the Board for approval in early October and we will share those results with the community as soon as we can.

We are deep into planning for the second meeting of our Cancer Stakeholder Alliance taking place mid-October. We also finalized the project dashboards for the Clinical, Social and Economic Impact (CSEI) research program, giving our website a well-rounded, robust view of our project portfolio.

And, with the arrival of September, came the arrival of new faces to help us build our connections within the community. The team welcomes Deven Sandhu as Managing Director of the OVMF, Renée Leduc as Manager of Knowledge Mobilization and Nadine Vautour as Associate. We also bid farewell to Linda Nong, our Associate, who has accepted a new position with Rogers. The entire team wishes Linda all the best in her new role.

With a successful year under our belt, it is time to look forward and position BioCanRx for an exciting and productive future. We are consulting with our RMC and Board of Directors about opportunities for the network and will communicate the outcomes of those deliberations through this newsletter as soon as we are able.
We continue to encourage researchers who are developing applications to make use of the BioCanRx Core Facilities within their project proposals. These facilities provide top-quality, leading-edge tools and technologies needed to move therapeutics to the clinic. To learn a bit more about the offerings of our cores, visit our website. Also, see below for a brief profile on one of our virus manufacturing facilities.

The BioCanRx team continues to work hard to support the needs of the biotherapeutic community and promote the innovative work happening in our network. We are inspired by your work and proud to support your efforts.

If you have any suggestions for us, or stories for the newsletter, please do take the time to reach out!

Featured this month:
Other funding opportunities currently available:

Cancer Research Society: 2017 Operating Grants Competition
Deadline: November 7, 2016
| PROJECT PROFILE |

Adding muscle to the immune system to fight ovarian cancer
By Heather Blumenthal
Think of them as the 98-pound weaklings on the beach of the immune system - not terribly powerful on their own, but rev up tumour-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) with other immune cells, and no one's going to kick sand in their faces!

That's the theory, anyhow. But now, a BioCanRx-funded research project is trying to show it can work and, in the process, provide new hope for women suffering from ovarian cancer, the most lethal gynecological cancer.

| TRAINING PROGRAMS AND OPPORTUNITIES |

Career Opportunities
Visit our jobs board for a list of career opportunities from our network, core facilities and partners in the cancer biotherapeutics sector. There are currently job postings from Caprion, CDRD, Northern Biologics and Zymeworks.

HQP Travel Awards and Lab Exchange Programs
BioCanRx HQP Travel Awards and Lab Exchanges enable HQP to access and attend external learning opportunities not offered by the network. These funding opportunities go toward reimbursing network HQP for expenses related to travel, accommodation and meals associated with the event.

Please see the criteria on our website to determine the appropriate opportunity for you!

You can find more information about training, education and career opportunities at the BioCanRx Training website.
| HQP PROFILE |
Manufacturing cancer-fighting viruses in Canada
By Jovian Tsang
The multi-door, air-locked entrances, background hum of machinery and frequent sightings of personnel in full-body biosafety suits could easily lead one to believe that world-ending biohazardous materials were stored in the halls of The Ottawa Hospital.

In actuality, this facility is where human-grade oncolytic viruses, or OVs, are being manufactured — one of only a few facilities worldwide with the ability to produce these specialized viruses for clinical trials.

Read more...
| MEETINGS AND EVENTS |
International Conference on Replicating Oncolytic Virus Therapeutics
Vancouver, BC | October 1 - 5, 2016

Cancer Research Institute's Immunotherapy Patient Summit
New York, NY | September 24, 2016
| NETWORK PUBLICATIONS |
Network members: Feature your research here by sending us a link to your recent publication!

Tumor-secreted products repress B-cell lymphopoiesis in a murine model of breast cancer.
Moreau JM, Mielnik M, Berger A, Furlonger C, Paige CJ.
Eur J Immunol. 2016 Sep 12.

Development of Novel Immunotherapies for Multiple Myeloma.
Al-Hujaily EM, Oldham RA, Hari P, Medin JA.
Int J Mol Sci. 2016 Sep 8

Single-particle characterization of oncolytic vaccinia virus by flow virometry.
Tang VA, Renner TM, Varette O, Le Boeuf F, Wang J, Diallo JS, Bell JC, Langlois MA.
Vaccine. 2016 Sep 7

RAIDD Mediates TLR3 and IRF7 Driven Type I Interferon Production.
Maney SK, Xu HC, Huang J, Pandyra AA, Ehlting C, Aguilar-Valenzuela R, Pozdeev VI, McIlwain DR, Zimmermann A, Bode JG, Hengel H, Kirschning CJ, Kim IR, Hiscott J, Brenner D, Häussinger D, Ohashi PS, Mak TW, Lang KS, Lang PA.
Cell Physiol Biochem. 2016 Sep 8

Neoadjuvant chemotherapy of ovarian cancer results in three patterns of tumor-infiltrating lymphocyte response with distinct implications for immunotherapy.
Lo CS, Sanii S, Kroeger DR, Milne K, Talhouk A, Chiu DS, Rahimi K, Shaw PA, Clarke BA, Nelson BH.
Clin Cancer Res. 2016 Sep 6

Combining oncolytic viruses as a successful strategy for breast cancer treatment
Bourgeois-Daigneault MC, St-Germain LE, Roy DG, Pelin A, Aitken AS, Arulanandam R, Falls T, Garcia V, Diallo JS, Bell JC
Breast Cancer Res. 2016 Aug 8
| IN THE NEWS |
Top scientists lay out sweeping recommendations for "moonshot" against cancer
StatNews | September 7, 2016

FDA to review Merck's Keytruda, or pembrolizumab, as first-line treatment for lung cancer
The Wall Street Journal | September 7, 2016

Dying of cancer - a caregiver's story
The Washington Post | August 30, 2016

Experimental cancer therapy holds great promise - but at great cost
StatNews | August 23, 2016

Perennial dealmaker Zymeworks licenses new drug discovery platform
FierceBiotech | August 12, 2016

Old cancer treatments make cutting-edge ones more effective
StatNews | August 4, 2016

Accelerated examination for patient applications pertaining to cancer immunotherapy
PCT Newsletter | August 2016

New portal to keep public informed of advances in increasingly complex cancer environment
Canadian Cancer Society | May 2016

Copyright © BioCanRx, All rights reserved.

Be a part of the BioCanRx community! Please send news and information to:
Amanda Devost, Manager, Communication and Corporate Affairs, BioCanRx
Email: adevost@biocanrx.com

Our mailing address is:
501 Smyth Road, Box 611, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list