MSFHR leadership update: Dr. Bev Holmes appointed interim CEO

Title: replace with my subject
The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are forwarding to our e-mail list members:

The MSFHR Board is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Bev Holmes as the Foundation's interim president & CEO.

"It's a time of great opportunity for health research and innovation in BC, and MSFHR will play an important role, working with our partners, in ensuring those opportunities are realized," says Dr. John O'Neil, board chair. "Dr. Holmes has the full confidence of the Board and she offers the Foundation and its staff strong and stable leadership. She is well-respected in the health-care and health research community and she has the skills to ensure MSFHR continues to recruit and retain high quality researchers and support world class research."

Dr. Holmes has a seven-year history with MSFHR and has a deep understanding of the organization and its programs as well as the system and stakeholders that the Foundation serves. She has strong relationships with MSFHR's key stakeholders, and on behalf of the Foundation has supported the development of provincial initiatives such as the new BC Academic Health Science Network and the BC SUPPORT Unit.

"With the launch of our new suite of funding programs, designed to meet the needs of the evolving innovation system, this is an exciting time for MSFHR," says Dr. Holmes. "I'm honoured by the endorsement of the Board, and with our leadership team and staff, I am committed to growing our role in the development of the health research talent BC needs for success in the future."

Dr. Holmes brings strong and relevant academic experience to her new role. With a PhD in health communication and knowledge translation from Simon Fraser University, she is increasingly called on to publish and present internationally on how best to support the translation of research evidence into policy and practice, especially from a funder's perspective.

Areas of focus for Dr. Holmes will be to work closely with the research community and research leaders to ensure all areas of health research are seen as important and supported in BC, engage with government and the health care community to help determine how research can best respond to BC's health system and innovation priorities, and confirm MSFHR's niche in the evolving health innovation ecosystem.

At this time, the Board has decided not to proceed with a formal search for a president & CEO.