SFU Library support for Research Data Management

The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are forwarding to our e-mail list members:

Dear Colleagues,

In 2016, the Tri-Agencies released their Statement of Principles on Digital Data Management. The Statement outlines responsibilities for researchers, research communities, institutions and funders: "The agencies believe that research data collected with the use of public funds belong, to the fullest extent possible, in the public domain and available for reuse by others."

Among the expectations outlined by the Tri-Agencies are:

  • The creation and implementation of research data management plans
  • Ensuring data collected is secure yet accessible during and beyond the duration of the research project
  • The inclusion of robust metadata
  • Sharing data (or metadata) as early as possible

The SFU Library has developed a suite of services and supports for research data management for SFU researchers including guidance in research data management planning and data deposit, workshops and individual consultations on research data management plans. More explicitly, we support research data management planning by:

  • Working with researchers in drafting data management plans
  • Identifying suitable repositories for data deposit
  • Delivering workshops and individual support in managing research data
  • Assisting with data analysis software support
  • Collaborating with researchers to ensure data remains accessible throughout the research data life cycle

If you would like to arrange a meeting to discuss your research data management needs, please contact data-services@sfu.ca.

Carla Graebner
Librarian for Research Data Services and Government Information
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive, Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6 Canada
Email: cgraebne@sfu.ca
Tel: 778.782.6881
Fax: 778.782.6926

"Data that is mobile, visible and well-loved stands a better chance of surviving"
~ Kurt Bollacker