CIHR Issue 240 – Dr. Jane Aubin, Chief Scientific Officer and Vice-President, Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics, announces retirement from CIHR

The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are forwarding to our e-mail list members:

Issue 240

Contents

1) Governance

a) Dr. Jane Aubin, Chief Scientific Officer and Vice-President, Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics, announces retirement from CIHR

2) Data Analyses

a) Promoting equity and excellence in health research

3) Funding Opportunities

a) Funding opportunity posted on March 28, 2017 by CIHR and its partners

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

1) Governance

a) Dr. Jane Aubin, Chief Scientific Officer and Vice-President, Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics, announces retirement from CIHR

Dear Colleagues,

This is to inform you that I am stepping down as Chief Scientific Officer and Vice-President, Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics effective this Friday, March 31, 2017.

As you know, I have tremendous pride in and respect for this organization and especially its people. I know that, in the weeks and months to come, employees will continue to deliver on CIHR’s important mission and mandate. I am confident that the interim President and, once they are appointed, the permanent President, will benefit from a professional, dedicated and truly amazing staff.

My relationship with CIHR dates back many years to when I received my first studentship, then postdoctoral fellowship and, finally, my first grant in 1979. I remember the pride and sense of accomplishment that accompanied this vote of support by my peers. I was all the more humbled when I led the Institute of Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis from 2007 to 2011. And of course more recently, I have been honoured by and have cherished my time as Chief Scientific Officer and Vice-President, Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics. My tenure at CIHR has permitted me to celebrate the best of science and help ensure that public funds have gone to support researchers – from across career stages and pillars and from coast to coast – who are doing truly incredible, life-changing research. I am grateful for the wonderful friendships that have developed and the support I have received during my time working in the health research community in Canada. I hope that our paths cross again. I will remain a strong advocate for health research that creates new knowledge and improves the health of Canadians.

Sincerely,

Jane

Jane E. Aubin, Ph.D.

Chief Scientific Officer and Vice-President, Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics

Canadian Institutes of Health Research

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

2) Data Analyses

a) Promoting equity and excellence in health research

Equity is an integral part of a sustainable health research ecosystem. Recently, CIHR developed an Equity Strategy with a vision of creating an equitable funding system by:

* Identifying and eliminating systemic biases towards any individual or group that would hinder access to CIHR funds; and

* Influencing the larger health research enterprise to adopt more equitable practices.

As part of this strategy, we have committed to sharing data with the larger health research community … Read the full statement from Jane Aubin

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

3) Funding Opportunities

a) Funding opportunity posted on March 28, 2017 by CIHR and its partners

The following funding opportunity was posted on March 28, 2017 by CIHR and its partners.

To view this opportunity, please use the CIHR Funding Opportunity Database and select the opportunity from the list which is sorted alphabetically.

* Other: Healthy and Productive Work – Partnership Grants

Please direct specific inquiries on the funding opportunity to the contact person listed at the bottom of the funding opportunity.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

CIHR Wants to Hear from You

Absence does not make the heart grow fonder – CIHR wants to hear from you as much as possible. There is a wonderful story to tell about the results and benefits of health research in Canada, but we need your help to truly make this a page turner. And, we need to keep telling this story. So, we encourage you to let us know when you have or, better still, are close to publishing the results of research funded by CIHR. Please drop us a line at mediarelations@cihr-irsc.gc.ca.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Useful CIHR Contacts

Contact Centre: 613-954-1968 or toll free 1-888-603-4178

Media Relations: 613-941-4563

CIHR’s website

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Subscription Information

There is no charge for this subscription. Privacy notice

Vous pouvez vous inscrire au communiqué français en envoyant une demande par courriel à Nouvellesdelarecherche@irsc-cihr.gc.ca qui contient votre prénom, votre nom et votre courriel.

Françoise Hinca

Advisor-Research Documentation / Operations Support

Canadian Institutes of Health Research / Government of Canada

research.news@cihr-irsc.gc.ca / Tel: 613-941-3504

Conseillère-Documentation liée à la recherche / Soutien opérationnel

Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

nouvellesdelarecherche@cihr-irsc.gc.ca / Tél: 613-941-3504