Write up a brief (2 - 4 paragraphs) answer to the question assigned to you.
Question 2: Dominique, Derek, Dean, Supinder, Sarah
Question 3: Angela, Mike, Alexis, Tania, Chris
Question 4: Elana, Andrea, Laura, Andrew
Question 5: Jon, Jevon, Jaqcuie, Joanna, Jean
Question 2: Dan, Wajma, Aaron-Lisa, Greg, Samantha
Question 3: Bethany, Kelsey, Navdeep, Kyla
Question 4: Jeni, Amy, Anjali, Karianne, Mark
Question 5: Mikal, Mareva, Melissa, Kyle, François
1. Identify and explain the significance of Fleury, War of the Austrian Succession (1740-1748), Machault, dixième, vingtième, Madame de Pompadour, philosophes, Voltaire, Montesquieu, The Spirit of the Laws
2. Collins directs our attention to the historical continuites in the French state (p. 195). In what ways was did the French state of the eighteenth century resemble that of the seventeenth century? Provide specific details.
3. What were the monarchy's expenses in the first half of the eighteenth century? Why did it need more revenue? How did it get more revenue?
4. What was court life like under Louis XV? What were the king's chief character traits?
Medallions commemorating the coronation of Louis XV.
5. By the 1750s, the "officially sanctioned social myth" of the French state "stood in ruins" (p. 208). Why? What were the political, religious, and intellectual developments that led to this?
This page was last revised on 21 October 2002 and has been visited