GEN Update December 20, 2000

Global Educators' Network Update
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

To manage your membership, follow the instructions at the end of this
message.

Year 2000 wrap-up

Our first full year for the Global Educators' Network has been very
productive! Our membership has grown to 680 educators, researchers,
students, administrators, and consultants from over 42 countries. We enjoyed
13 seminars and special interest group discussions thanks to our
facilitators who volunteered their time and expertise on exciting topics
related to telelearning.

We have also been busy with GEN research...What contributes to a successful
seminar? How can we improve the GEN environment? What motivates members to
participate?

Research reports, including two comprehensive GEN design projects prepared
by Simon Fraser University communication students, will be posted in the new
year. As always, your comments related to the advancement of GEN are
encouraged. Visit our GEN Research SIG
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=51 or email the
GEN coordinator mailto:currie@idmail.com

Register now for our next GEN seminar: "Online Learning Consortia"

10 January 2001 - 2 February 2001

Many colleges and universities are considering initiating or joining
consortia to share the costs and expertise in developing, marketing, and
delivering of online educating and training. The concept makes sense but the
failure rates of such consortia are extremely high. Many consortia that are
publicly announced with great splash are never heard from again. Can
consortia be designed to work? What are some lessons we can learn from
failed consortia? What are the critical success factors?

Join our facilitators who have first-hand experience in developing
consortia:

Joanne Curry, Executive Director,
TeleLearning Network of Centres of Excellence

Paul Bacsich, Leader of Virtual Campus Programme Team
Sheffield Hallam University

Alan Davis, Vice President, Academic
Athabasca University

Register at http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

"Supporting Students Online" Seminar a Success!

What an inspiring final seminar for the year 2000! Thanks to Linda Gibson,
Steve Scadding, and Rick Nigol of the University of Guelph, and 25 GEN
participants, we tackled many issues and challenges related to supporting
students online. And as always, we came away with new questions, ideas and
resources!

For a comprehensive summary of a different kind, follow this link:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspmsg.cgi?ci=58&mi=131

The "Supporting Students Online" seminar is archived at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=58

Set aside time for GEN in 2001!

We have some exciting GEN seminars lined up for 2001, including follow-up
discussions from the TeleLearning 2000 Conference. Watch for dates and
details in upcoming GEN Updates and in the "Upcoming Seminars" section at
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

Here's a glimpse of the first few months of 2001:

"Online Learning Consortia"
Facilitators: Joanne Curry, TeleLearning Network of Centres of Excellence,
Paul Bacsich, Sheffield Hallam University, and Alan Davis, Athabasca
University

"Institutional Support for Faculty"
Facilitators: Denise Stockley, Simon Fraser University and Vivian Rossner,
University of Waterloo

"Support for Online Students with Disabilities"
Facilitators: Catherine Fichten and Jennison Asuncion of the Adaptech
Project, Dawson College, Montreal, Quebec

"Open Source for Educational Software"
Facilitator: Bruno Vernier, Vancouver, British Columbia

Tip for GEN members

Would you like to be advised when new messages have been posted to a GEN
seminar? "Mind It" is a free service that will tap you on the shoulder when
it's time to read and respond to new contributions. Even better, your "Mind
It" notification will guide you right to the GEN seminar.

There are several options for tracking Web pages. Check out
http://mindit.netmind.com/

Read GEN Updates on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/

Browse past, current, and upcoming seminar descriptions:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

To remove yourself from this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
        unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network

GEN update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!