1. Part II of our GEN/Tapped In series

Date: 4 June 2001 - 17 June 2001
Moderator: Paul Mayes

Join us for Part II of a series in the exploration of Virtual Communities of
Educational Practice (CEPs). This seminar will extend and refocus the
discussion begun in GEN Seminar 18: 4th D Crossing (see below) but will
remain of general interest to those who did not participate in Part I.

In Part II we will try out some ideas and document strategies for welcoming
and attracting newcomers, moderating, peer learning, and support. We will
also investigate possibilities, both in terms of technologies and
strategies, for Tapped In and GEN communities to work together. Our goal is
to generate a tips and strategies resource for building virtual communities
of educational practice.

This seminar will be facilitated by Paul Mayes, Head of Academic Information
Services at University of Teesside. Paul is responsible for a range of
'converged' information services ranging from a TV studio to web-based
information to printed material. For the past 20 years he has tutored for
Open University on a range of innovative courses that rely on synchronous &
asynchronous communication.

Register: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Access the seminar directly:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=91

Consider joining a Tapped In tour and a GEN Virtual Field Trip. View this
month's Tapped In Calendar of Events at:
http://www.tappedin.sri.com/cgi-bin/calendar/calendar.cgi

2. Upcoming Seminar: Understanding Virtual Learning Communities

Date: 5 July 2001 - 26 July 2001
Moderators: Student Groups, Simon Fraser University

A BIG welcome to students in the Communication course, Understanding Virtual
Learning Communities: Critical Theory, research, and practice, taught by
Linda Harasim! These Simon Fraser University students are currently working
in research groups to study social and intellectual development, and
moderating functions, in GEN seminars. Their work will bring us closer to
understanding "What makes online communities successful?"

The next phase of their course involves planning and moderating a series of
three short seminars. Each group will lead a week-long discussion, share
research, and report on their experiences. Topics will include effective
design and moderating strategies for virtual seminars.

We are looking forward to our first GEN seminar moderated by students!

Register: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

3. 4th D Crossing: Virtual Communities of Educational Practice (CEPs)

It was a busy two weeks! In this unique seminar we experienced, compared,
and contrasted the Global Educators' Network (GEN) and Tapped In, two
Virtual Communities of Educational Practice. We identified qualities of
asynchronous and synchronous communication and discussed differences in
dynamics and community building. This seminar provided a foundation for Part
II which begins June 3, 2001 (see above).

We all appreciate Susanne Nyrop's hard work in organizing this seminar.
There were many late nights required to cross that 4th dimension to meet GEN
members at Tapped In! Also, thanks to the staff at Tapped In
(http://www.tappedin.org) for coordinating and participating in this
activity.

Access the archive at
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=84

4. All KINDS of Questions

How do we ensure that all students have equal access to online courses?
Are there any subjects that are not suitable for online courses?
Is it too soon to end our All KINDS of Questions activity?

Just as we suspected, educators have all KINDS of questions about teaching
and learning online! The list continues to grow and we've been busy
compiling them into the GEN Educators FAQ.
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/VUusers/genadmin/GEN_Educators_FAQ.html

It's not too late to contribute! Access All KINDS of Questions:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=89

5. Manage Your Membership

Forgot your password? Send a note to currie@idmail.com

Become a GEN member and register for current and upcoming seminars at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Subscribing and Unsubscribing from this List

To remove yourself from this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
        unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network

6. About the global-educators-network mailing list

This mailing list is for GEN Updates and occasional announcements. If you
have questions about GEN, would like to propose a seminar topic, or need
help with your password, please send e-mail to Sylvia Currie,
currie@idmail.com

Read GEN Update on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/

GEN Update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/

Free seminars...by online educators, for online educators

Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!