[linux-security] interruption

Dear linux-security members,

two events will lead to temporary interruptions:

1) as you may have heard already the campus file server sphinx.sfu.ca
   will be updated this upcoming night. That means that the file server
   will not be available between midnight and noon Saturday.
   It also means that everybody who mounts our patched RedHat distributions
   off that file server must unmount those directories today otherwise
   you machine will hang. The proper command is:

umount /mnt/redhat

   (replace /mnt/redhat with the proper directory name where you mounted
   the RedHat distributions; the df command should tell you what it is).

   When the file server comes back up on Saturday the location of the
   RedHat distributions will change from

sphinx.sfu.ca:/vol/vol1/distrib/redhat

sphinx.sfu.ca:/vol/vol0/distrib/redhat

   Please change your /etc/fstab files accordingly. The web pages
   (e.g., http://www.sfu.ca/acs/security/linux/sphinx-linux.html) will
   also be modified as well to reflect that change.

   You should be able to mount the RedHat distributions from this new
   location Saturday afternoon.

2) I will be on vacation for two weeks starting Monday. That is, there will
   be no security advisories coming out within the next two weeks.
   Service will resume on September 9. Also the RedHat distributions
   will not be updated over this period.

   I recommend that you check the security web pages for your distributions
   regularly over that period.

   If you are using RedHat, you can alternativley use check-rpms with the
   -ftp option to check for updated rpm packages; e.g., for a RedHat 7.3
   system:

check-rpms -v -ftp ftp.crc.ca/pub/systems/linux/redhat/ftp.redhat.com/linux/updates/7.3/en/os

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert@sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6