Same ad I just sent but in English. Laval is a French language institution.
Begin forwarded message:
Subject: [d-ssc] Tenure track position in Biostatistics - Université Laval
Date: 5 June, 2013 1:12:50 PM PDT
Please distribute to PhD and Postdocs in Statistics and Biostatistics Tenure track position in Biostatistics The Department of Mathematics and Statistics of Université Laval invites applications for a tenure track position in Biostatistics. Hiring will normally be at the assistant professor level and the appointment would start in the summer of 2014. The Department, which is developing a Masters and a PhD program in Biostatistics with the Faculty of Medicine, is willing to support an application by a successful candidate for a Research Scholarship from one of the major granting bodies in Canada. The Department of Mathematics and Statistics (DMS) is in the Faculty of Science and Engineering of Université Laval, one of the leading research universities in Canada. The DMS provides an excellent environment for research and teaching. It offers courses (taught in French) to students in our specialized programs in Mathematics and Statistics (Bachelor, Masters and PhD), in Biostatistics (Masters), as well as courses to students in engineering, education, etc. Université Laval is located in Quebec City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the capital of the province of Quebec. With over 40,000 students, the university is a stimulating working environment, at the heart of a metropolitan area of 750,000 inhabitants. The successful candidate will be expected to
- recruit and supervise graduate students, in particular in the Masters and PhD programs in Biostatistics
- engage in a productive research program
- apply for funding from the major granting bodies
- teach undergraduate and graduate statistics courses in French (including large-lecture service courses).
The successful candidate will collaborate with researchers from the numerous medical research centers affiliated to the university. He/she will also contribute to the development and the promotion of the discipline and of Université Laval’s statistics group.
- have obtained – or be close to obtaining – a PhD degree in biostatistics or in statistics, or an equivalent qualification
- be able to propose and independent research program for which one could rapidly obtain adequate funding
- demonstrate the potential to recruit and supervise graduate students in biostatistics and undertake collaborative research with researchers in the medical sciences
- demonstrate excellent pedagogical abilities for teaching large-lecture service courses in statistics as well as courses in statistics and biostatistics at undergraduate and graduate levels
- be able to teach in French or be able to do so within a year.
It will be considered advantageous to be able to work effectively with the group of researchers already in place. Applications must include a CV, three letters of reference, an outline of research plans for the next three years (3 pages maximum), a teaching philosophy statement (2 pages maximum), and up to two recent articles (preprints or off-prints). The candidate should clearly indicate his/her level of French proficiency or his/her willingness to become proficient within one year. Frédéric Gourdeau, directeur Département de mathématiques et de statistique
1045, av. de la Médecine
Canada G1V 0A6
Applications must be received by November 30, 2013. As an employer committed to a diverse workplace, Université Laval encourages all qualified individuals to apply – particularly women, visible and ethnic minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities – but priority will be given to Canadians and Canadian permanent residents. Salary is determined by the collective agreement. Département de mathématiques et de statistique Tel : +1 418 656-2131 ext 3088 Avis relatif à la confidentialité Ce message contient des renseignements qui peuvent être confidentiels ou protégés. Il s'adresse au destinataire prévu ou à une personne autorisée à le recevoir en son nom. Si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, nous vous prions d'en informer l'auteur dans les meilleurs délais, de ne pas divulguer son contenu et de le supprimer de votre système.