Research Associate – Statistical Consultant
The Department of Statistics at the University of Manitoba invites applications for one full-time statistical consultant position at the rank of research associate, commencing January 1, 2018, or on a date mutually agreed upon. This position
provides a range of services to students, faculty and clients from industry including statistical advice, analysis and training. Clients can come from a wide variety of areas including medicine, environment, business and government. The initial position
is a two year term, and will be continued subject to the successful completion of the term and availability of funding.
* A minimum of an M.Sc. in Statistics or related field and 3 years of statistical consulting or data analysis experience;
* Excellent oral and written communication and project management skills;
* Expertise in statistical computing with SAS, R and SPSS;
* Teaching experience in statistical consulting would be an asset;
* Experience in modern statistical methods and quality control would be an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Provide statistical consulting services to internal and external clients;
* Collaborate with other units on data driven projects;
* Train and mentor undergraduate and graduate students in statistical consulting;
* Conduct statistical data analysis workshops and training sessions to various internal and external groups;
* Participate in teaching statistical consulting courses;
* Develop and maintain new contacts with external clients including academic, industry and government.
Please send applications (by e-mail or hard copy) to:
Department of Statistics
The University of Manitoba
Canada, R3T 2N2
Telephone: 204-474-9801, Fax: 204-474-7621
Please include: a) a cover letter, b) a curriculum vitae, c) a statement of statistical consulting philosophy and d) evidence of statistical consulting and data analyses (if available). Also arrange to have two letters of reference sent directly
to the above address. Applications are due on or before November 15, 2017. Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection and privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
Act (Manitoba)". Please note that curricula vitae may be provided to participating members of the search process.
Founded in 1967, the Department of Statistics at the University of Manitoba has a long and rich history. The Department currently has 17 academic members, with research interests in various areas of statistics and probability. The Department
has active B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs focusing on both theory and applications. The successful applicant will find that this is an exciting time to join the Department. Most of the current faculty members have joined the Department within the past decade
and more positions are expected in the coming years. It is thus an ideal time for new members to contribute to the reshaping of the Department's research, teaching and consulting programs. Additional information about the Department can be found at
Located in the thriving, multicultural city of Winnipeg, the University of Manitoba offers students and faculty a vibrant learning environment. Researchers at the University of Manitoba are among the best in the world. With over 30,000 students,
faculty and staff, and offering 82 degree programs, the University of Manitoba plays a key role in the social, cultural, and economic well-being of its community and the world. Winnipeg has a rich cultural environment, including symphony, opera, dance, theatre
and ethnic festivals. The region provides ample opportunities for outdoor recreation in all seasons.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual
orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
More information cane found at