- Contact Us
Sustainability permeates every aspect of SFU, from research and teaching to campus operations and community engagement.
Some of our recent milestones:
- In 2021 we opened one of Canada’s largest biomass plants. It will reduce our Burnaby campus greenhouse gas emissions by 80%. We also pledge to shift half our energy use to renewable resources by 2025.
- We reduced our investment portfolio’s carbon footprint by 43%, in line with meeting or exceeding our 2025 reduction goal of 45%.
- We introduced Living Lab, a program in which student and faculty researchers, as well as staff, can test and apply innovative sustainability ideas to our own infrastructure and facilities.
- In 2019 we opened Western Canada’s first School of Sustainable Energy Engineering, housed in a new LEED® Gold-certified building that is a living showcase for sustainable building standards.
- Our new School of Environmental Science is training the next generation of scientists to tackle the environmental problems we face today and into the future.
Learn more about SFU’s sustainability commitments, projects and services.