- Stay connected
- Get involved
- News & events
- Our alumni
- About us
The SFU Alumni Association Board of Directors is a group of volunteers who are passionate about SFU and who are relied upon by the university to infuse an alumni perspective towards advancing SFU’s vision to be Canada’s leading engaged university.
Nominations are now closed. Candidates can be viewed here.
We are currently seeking a minimum of six (6) alumni to fill elected positions on the Board for the three-year term of office from June 2021 to May 2024.
The SFU Alumni Association (SFUAA) is a registered Society governed by a Board of Directors that works in collaboration with SFU’s Alumni Relations team. The Board consists of (13) elected members by the alumni membership for a three (3) year term, and two (2) appointed positions, as the Board deems necessary, in accordance with Bylaw 7.7.
The deadline for nominations to be received is Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (PDT). Prior to names being added to the nomination ballot a verbal verification of eligibility will be scheduled with the Executive Director, Alumni Association. Meetings will be scheduled with each candidate as completed nomination packages are received. Please note if your completed nomination package is submitted on the nomination close date, Thursday, April 15, a meeting must be scheduled on Friday, April 16. Early submissions are highly encouraged.
To be eligible, candidates must be an SFU alumnus, and by definition been awarded a Senate-approved degree, diploma, certificate or PDP at SFU before June 2021, in accordance with Bylaw 1.1 and 2.1
Additionally, candidates must sign up to be registered members of the SFU Alumni Association (included within the Nomination process).
Most Board members will devote an average of 5-8 hours per month during the three-year term:
- Board meetings & planning sessions: Board members are expected to participate in the majority of Board meetings – held approximately five times per year. This generally includes two Saturday planning sessions (September and January), and three evening meetings (November, March and June).
- Committee meetings: Board members also serve on a minimum of 1 and maximum of 3 committees of the Board, which meet separately from regularly-scheduled Board meetings.
- Additional commitments: Board members are expected to participate in various SFU and alumni activities, some of which include taking part in SFU surveys, making an annual financial donation to SFU, and attending SFU events.
Roles and responsibilities
The SFUAA is an advisory Board supporting a number of key university priorities. As an Alumni Association Director your contributions support SFU in its commitment to creating a university community where all feel welcome, safe and appreciated. Directors are responsible for infusing an alumni perspective into decision-making processes, and contribute towards providing feedback and suggestions. Directors are expected to be active participants in discussion and debate during meetings, including proposals brought forward or decisions that need to be made. SFU also looks to Directors to help inform long-range objectives and strategic plans for student and alumni engagement.
Please read the full position description for a complete list of responsibilities.
Key skills that we are actively recruiting for in this nomination cycle:
- Strategic planning
- Human resources
- Legal and compliance
- Partnership development
- Volunteer leadership and management
- Policy development
- Corporate or board leadership
- Arts and cultural
- Legal and compliance
- Risk assessment and management
Experiences that are being sought in this nomination cycle:
- Having worked with Indigenous and multi-cultural groups
- Operating in a non-profit environment
- Raising the profile of new and existing initiatives to diverse stakeholders
- Previous experience as a Board member of a non-profit organization
- Previous experience as a Board member of a public or crown organization
- Demonstrated interest in social justice and a solid understanding of principles and action in equity, diversity and inclusion in higher education
To be nominated, you must:
- Complete the candidate form that consists of three sections (details below), and
- Have two fellow members of the Alumni Association fill out the nominator form - link provided at the bottom of the page. Following the submission of your completed nomination a member of the Alumni Relations team will reach out to schedule a meeting with the Executive Director, Alumni Association) for a verbal verification of eligibility.
Part A consists of:
- Accepting the membership terms
- Accepting the nomination
- Confirmation of Eligibility in accordance with Bylaw 7.6
- Providing your candidate information: name, SFU credentials earned, SFU student ID number or birthdate, home address, email address and phone number
- Providing your current candidate employment information, if applicable: employer name, position title, address, LinkedIn profile link if applicable
Part B consists of answering two questions, with a maximum of 250 words.
1. Why do you wish to serve on the SFU Alumni Association's Board of Directors (versus on the Board of another organization?)
2. Based on the Board's current composition and the skills that the board is seeking (both are noted on the top of this page), how will your experience and background add value to the Board?
Part C consists of three things:
1. Candidate photo
- a digital file (.jpg or .png) - Please note these will be posted on the SFU candidate website
- high resolution (no photo copies)
- orientation = portrait (vertical), note, we may crop your photo
- size = a minimum of 500px (w) x 600px (h), larger photos are preferred
- to see an example of what makes a good profile photo, please visit our Alumni Association page here (opens new tab/window.)
- Education/Professional Designations: degrees/designations with dates and institutions
- Example: BA 1997 SFU, MA 2005 SFU
- Occupational Background: occupation/job title, employer, dates
- Example: Data scientist, The Data Warehouse Inc. 2008-2010
- Volunteer/Board Experience: community service, board/committee roles, volunteer leadership
- Example: Director at large, Tourism Burnaby, 2001-2010; Dog walker, SPCA, 2009-present.
- Interests/Activities while a student at SFU: club involvement, RHA, SFSS, sports, etc.
- Example: Reading club 2002; Ultimate frisbee club 1999-2003; SFSS treasurer 2002
3. Nominator form: two nominators are required
All candidates must be nominated by two fellow members of the Alumni Association and meet the definition of alumnus in accordance with Bylaw 1.1. Nominator information is to be filled out by the nominator.
The link to the form is located below. Please provide the link to your nominators.
To be filled out by the CANDIDATE:
To be filled out by the NOMINATORS:
All candidates must be nominated by two fellow members of the Alumni Association