Research Assistants

Payroll - List of Forms to Complete

  • My Info (Payslips, T4's and T4A's)
  • Due before 1PM on non-payweek Thursday (Wednesday if a statutory holiday falls between the due date and payday)
  • SFU Payroll Website Useful links and information as well as downloadable forms such as Personal Data Form, TD1, TD1BC, etc.
  • When are the Stat Holidays (i.e. when is the University closed)?
  • How do I request an Income Verification Letter, Immigration Letter, Record of Employment (ROE) or a copy of my T4/T4A?  Go to the Payroll website, then click on "Forms and Resources", then scroll down to "Request for Information".

How to Appoint a Research Assistant

* Appointment Letter-Fillable.pdf
Optional. This is for Employment Income only.

Email with the following information:

  • Person's Name
  • Email Address (SFU email preferred)
  • SFU ID (if applicable)
  • Dates of appointment
  • Grant/Project number (find this by logging in at
  • Wage - Hourly, Bi-Weekly, or Lump Sum (see below for recommendations)
  • Any maximum for hourly appointments (max. hours or max. pay)?
  • Scholarship or Employment (ie. Does the research have anything to do with their thesis? That is scholarship). Note: Hourly is employment, salary and lump sum can be scholarship.
  • Ideally appointments will end with a semester - April 30, August 31, December 31.

SFU's Recommended Student Hourly Wage Rates

Student Assistants

Minimum Hourly

Benefits @ 12%

Minimum Total

Maximum Hourly

Benefits @ 12%

Maximum Total






















Note: “Benefits” includes statutory welfare benefits for employment income, estimated to be approximately 8% of salary and statutory holiday pay at a fixed rate of 4%. Either one of these percentages may be increased by law, or in the case of welfare benefits, may vary by individual. Nevertheless, for budgeting purposes, the 12% figure should be used.


For Work-Study appointments, please provide the Grad Program Assistant ( the following information:

  • Work-Study declaration form, filled out and signed
  • Student SIN (and Study Permit if they are International)
  • Student ID Number
  • Student Email Address
  • Project Number
  • HAN (Hiring Authorization Number)
  • PAF provided by Financial Aid and Awards when they send the HAN

Summer 2018 Work-Study is from May 7 through August 31

Forms To Complete

Print, Complete and Sign the following forms:

  1. Personal Data Form If you have problems viewing this form, right click the link and 'save link as...' to your desktop.
  2. Federal Tax Form & Provincial Tax Form  - Tax forms must be completed to ensure correct tax rate is applied to taxable income. Please estimate your annual fees in Canada. If you are not certain of the amount to enter on the Tax froms, please sign the forms and Payroll will default to basic exemption.
    : your employee# is the same as your SFU ID#
  3. TSSU Assignment of Wages Form - Not required for Research Assistant Appointments or USRA Appointments
  4. TSSU Privacy and Confidentiality Agreement - Not required for Research Assistant Appointments or USRA Appointments

Please submit the following documents with the above forms:

  1. Void Cheque OR a pdf of your Bank Account Verification/Direct deposit form. International students will need to set up a Canadian bank account.  Please make sure you have a ‘bank verification ‘downloaded from your online banking (Canadian),  or a printed form from your bank branch.
  2. Study or Working Permit - International Students
  3. SIN letter from Service Canada - International Students
  4. Permanent Residence - submit a copy of your PR card front and back, and your SIN card front and back or your SIN letter

All completed forms and documents should be submitted to:

Graduate Program Assistant - EDB 9635 or scan to