The Department of Archaeolog at Simon Fraser University does not currently guarantee funding to all incoming graduate students. On average, our students receive $14,000 in funding every year. The department places no limits on the amount of scholarship funding that a student may receive provided that the total does not surpass the SFU limit of $50,000 of scholarship support per academic year.
Funding can be made up of scholarships, bursaries, awards, fellowships, TA/TM-ships, or RAships.
We recommend that all eligible students apply for TriCouncil, Vanier, and Trudeau scholarships.
Funding for Continuing Students
- Travel and Minor Research Awards (ARCH)
- Award Value: approximately $50 to $3,000
- Competitions due Fall (Nov 15) and Spring (March 31)
- Graduate Fellowships (ARCH)
- Award Value: approximately $6,500 (or $3,250)
- Competition available Spring (generally March/April) for Fall payment
Other awards due about June 1 for Fall payment (HRM Eligible)
- Archaeology Private Awards
- FEnv Private Awards
- Canadian Pacific/Teck Resources Award for Environmental Innovation ($5,000)
- Coastal Zone Canada (BC) Association Graduate Scholarship in Coastal Studies ($1,200)
- Matthew Knott Memorial Graduate Award in Diving Safety ($1,500)
- Patricia Gallaugher Award in Coastal Science Management ($1,600)
- Simons Foundation Graduate Award in the Faculty of Environment ($5,000)
- Wayne Goeson Memorial Award ($1,100)
This list was updated March 2019.