Payment Services, Payroll and Purchasing
If you've read the instructions below and still need help related to your grant or something specific to Biology, please email biscfina'at'sfu.ca. This should probably be your first stop. If you're have technical problems with the software, a "Help" email address has been listed at the bottom of each section.
Project/Account numbers consist of one alpha and 6 numeric characters. They are grouped by "funds" depending on the source:
||e.g. 13-N888888||internal funds|
||e.g. 21-S211111||special purpose funds
|Fund 24||e.g. 24-E444444||external funds|
|Fund 25||e.g. 25-X177777||external funds - usually targeted to student support|
|Funds 31, 32, 36
||e.g. 31-R666666||research funds|
What is an "Alias" and when is it useful?
Any time you are in an electronic form (TEX, Purchase Requisition, etc.) and you see a field call "Alias", enter the project number - e.g. R666666. It will populate all the other fields for you.
Important: You need to enter this FIRST. If you enter any other number before entering the alias, it will not populate the line.
Frequently Used Object Codes
|Expense Type||Object Code||Description|
|Computers & Software:||6010||COMPUTER HARDWARE UNDER 5K|
|6012||COMPUTER HARDWARE OVER 5K|
|6164||SOFTWARE LICENSE AND PURCHASES|
|Equipment:||6090||EQUIPMENT-GENERAL UNDER 5K|
|6092||EQUIPMENT-GENERAL OVER 5K|
|6772||EQUIPMENT AND FURNITURE RENTL|
|Materials & Supplies:
||6120||LAB EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES|
|6122||GAS INSUSTRIAL AND SCIENTIFIC|
|6160||CLOTHING AND TEXTILES|
|6260||SCIENCE STORES SUPPLIES|
|6199||MATERIALS AND SUPPLIES - OTHER|
|Printing:||6116||BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS|
|6520||PRINTING AND DUPLICATION EXP|
|6512||POSTAGE COURIER AND DELIVERY|
|6514||CUSTOMS AND BROKERAGE|
|Travel:||7000||EMPLOYEE TRAVEL EXPENSES|
|7002||EMPLOYEE FIELD TRAVEL EXPENSES|
|7020||NON-EMPLOYEE TRAVEL EXPENSES|
|7022||NON-EMPLOYEE FIELD TRAVEL EXP|
|7030||VISITOR TRAVEL EXPENSES|
|6518||PERMITS AND FEES|
|6662||LONG DISTANCE PHONE CHARGES|
SFU Policy AD3.02 - Business and Travel Expenses (See also the link for "Procedure for Business and Travel Expenses at the bottom of the page.) IMPORTANT: This policy governs all expense claims.
- Cash Advance (FINS) - Employees only (use to request a Travel Advance)
- On-line Expense Report-TEX (FINS) - Employees only (non employees should use the Travel and Expense Claim form below)
- Travel and Expense Claim form - Non-Employees only (Navigate to Forms, then scroll down to Employee Travel & Expense - Online Claims section near the bottom of the page.)
- Supporting documentation for an Expense Claim
- "Lost Receipt" Declaration (Click on Forms and Resources, then scroll down to Employee Travel & Expense - Online Claims section near the bottom of the page.) - If you are missing a receipt, you will need to include this completed form with your expense claim.
- Payment Requisition - Use to request a payment of less than $500 - do not use to request a Travel Advance. Click on Forms and Resources and scroll down. See also Payment Requisition Instructions.
- Independent Contractor Agreement (ICA) - has been replaced by the Short Form Service Agreement (SFSA). See Procurement section below.
Help: tex_help'at'sfu.ca or you can call the Payment Services Helpline at 27087.
- My Info (Payslips, T4's and T4A's)
- Bi-Weekly Timesheet Instructions and Deadlines
- Bi-Weekly Timesheet Entry Screen (Due before 1PM on non-payweek Thursday; Wednesday if a statutory holiday falls between the due date and payday)
- SFU Payroll Website Useful links and information as well as downloadable forms such as Personal Data Form, TD1, TD1BC, etc.
- When are the Stat Holidays (i.e. when is the University closed)?
- How do I request an Income Verification Letter, Immigration Letter, Record of Employment (ROE) or a copy of my T4/T4A? Go to the Payroll website, then click on "Forms and Resources", then scroll down to "Request for Information".
- e-Procurement (FINS) (create your own Purchase Requisition)
- Science Stores
- Independent Contractor Agreement (ICA) - this no longer exists. Please see "Purchases from Fund 11" or "Purchase of Services from Resesarch Funds".
- Purchases from Fund 11 - A How To Guide
- Short Form Service Agreements (SFSA) - to be used for the purchase of services from research funds (replaces ICA):
Agreements up to $3499
The Short-Form Service Agreement (SFSA) is used and self-managed by the Department.
Research Accounting (RA) pre-approval is not required.
Invoices are forwarded directly to Payment Services and must include a copy of the the SFSA.
Payment Services forwards invoices to RA for review/approval before releasing payment.
Service Agreements between $3,500 and $9,999
PI completes the SFSA and signs only their portion of the document.
The PI sends a completed Requisition with the SFSA to Research Accounting for pre-approval.
Research Accounting sends the approved package to Procurement for processing.
Procurement creates a PO and adds the purchase order number to the SFSA.
Procurement forwards the SFSA to the Contractor and requests their signature.
When signature is received, the Contractor can commence work.
PI/Requester completes receiving when services are rendered.
Invoices are sent directly to Payment Services for processing.
Invoices are paid as a three-way match (SFSA, PO, invoice).
Service Agreements over $10,000
PI contacts their Procurement Officer (currently Laura Simonsen (laura_simonsen[at]sfu.ca; ext. 23295).
The Procurement Officer drafts a full agreement and requests a Requisition from the PI.
The PR and Agreement is sent (by Procurement) for RA review.
When approved by RA, the PR is pulled into a Purchase Order and the funds are encumbered.
The Procurement Officer coordinates all signatures.
Copies of the signed documents are sent to the Contractor and PI.
PI/Requester completes receiving as services are rendered.
Invoices (with PO number) are sent to Payment Services for processing.
Invoices are paid as a three-way match (SFSA, PO, invoice).
- Short-Form Service Agreement Click on the plus sign to unpack the list of forms. The SFSA is near the top.
- New Vendor Registration (required for all first-time vendors to SFU before payment can be made - select Forms and Resources and scroll to Goods and Services Vendor/Supplier Payments)