July 22, 2004 Meeting Summary
A. Finance and Administration
- The Board heard that the Working Group on Access Issues will be reconstituted again in the fall of 2004.
- The Board noted that the January 20 and September 22, 2005 meetings of the Finance and Administration Committee have been scheduled to take place at SFU at Harbour Centre.
- The Board approved increases in parking fines and visitor parking fees at the University’s Burnaby Campus, effective September 1, 2004.
- The Board approved Signature Authorization amendments, including a change to the limit at which contractual obligations require Board approval from $1 million to $2 million. A revised and updated set of resolutions and/or a revised policy for Signature Authorization at SFU will be prepared and presented to the Board in the fall, 2004.
- The Academic Pension Plan and Administrative/Union Pension Plan Annual Reports for 2003 were before the Board for information.
- Donations: the Board approved terms of reference and noted donations to new funds, and noted donations to existing funds, as follows:
|MONTH||NEW FUNDS||EXISTING FUNDS|
|March 2004 (supplementary)||$7,700.00||--------|
- The Board approved the naming of roadways that are located in the UniverCity development.
B. Academic Operations
- The Board approved a new Intellectual Property Policy, R30.03, replacing Policies R30.01 and R30.02, effective immediately.
- The Board noted minor changes in program requirements to the Ed.D. in the Educational Leadership program in the Faculty of Education.
- The Board noted that Senate approved transitional election arrangements for the Faculty of Health Sciences, effective September 1, 2004.
- The Board noted that the January 20 and September 22, 2005 meetings of the Academic Operations Committee have been scheduled to take place at SFU at Harbour Centre.
- The Board approved the creation of a Governance Committee of the Board, and an amendment to Board Policy B10.01, Rules of the Board, to permit teleconference participation at Board meetings. The Board also approved a motion supporting the initiative of The University Presidents’ Council for an amendment to the University Act Section 23, to permit students in good standing who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents under the Canadian Immigration Act to stand for election to the Board of Governors.
- The Acting Board Chair thanked outgoing Vice-President, Research, B. Clayman, for his contributions to the work of the Board and congratulated him on his appointment as President of the Great Northern Way Campus.
- The Board heard that the University’s revised proposal for the Olympic Oval is under active consideration by the Vancouver Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee, and that the City of Richmond is expected to be the only other contender.
- The Board heard that the City of Vancouver is expected to select a developer of the Woodwards site in September 2004.
- The Board heard that the University fully expects to meet targeted enrolments in all faculties with admissions cut-off numbers within 1% of 2003.
- The Board was advised that the administration of the University is expected to comment on a proposal to establish a Sustainability Advisory Task Force.
A. Finance and Administration
- The Board approved the Business Case for the design and construction of The Technology and Science Complex - Module 2, and The Arts and Social Sciences Complex – Module 1.
- The Board approved entering into a contract with Omicron Architecture Engineering Construction Services for services related to the development of the Surrey campus Phase 1a, Phase 1b, and Phase 2.
- The Board approved entering into a three-year contract with EBSCO Canada Ltd. for the purchase of Library serial subscriptions.
- The Board approved entering into a 10-year contract with Urban Networks Incorporated for the purchase of fibre-optic cable capacity for SFU Surrey.
B. Academic Operations
- Faculty Appointments
The following academic appointments were approved and have been accepted:
Dr. Michele Schmidt Assistant Professor Education 1 Sep 04-31 Aug 08 Dr. Willeen Keough Assistant Professor History 1 Sep 05 - 31 Aug 09 Dr. Susan Kozel Associate Professor Interactive Arts & Technology 1 Jul 04-31 Aug 09 Dr. Mario Liotti Assoc. Professor with tenure Psychology 1 Sep 04 Ms. Thecla Schiphorst Associate Professor Interactive Arts & Technology 1 Jul 04-31 Aug 09 Mr. Ronald Wakkary Associate Professor Interactive Arts & Technology 1 Jul 04 - 31 Aug 09 Dr. Edgar Young Assistant Professor Molecular Biology & Biochemistry 1 Nov 04 - 31 Aug 08 Dr. Lynne Bell Associate Professor Archaeology 1 Sep 04 - 31 Aug 09 Dr. Andrei Bulatov Assistant Professor Computing Science 1 Aug 04 - 31 Aug 08 Dr. Peter Borwein Burnaby Mtn. Endowed Professorship Mathematics 1 Sep 04 - 31 Aug 14 Dr. Jian Pei Assistant Professor Computing Science 1 Aug 04 - 31 Aug 08 Dr. Prasanna Thati Assistant Professor Computing Science 1 May 05 - 31 Aug 09 Dr. Julie Crawford Associate Professor English 1 Sep 05-31 Aug 10 Dr. Brian Fisher Associate Professor Interactive Arts & Technology 1 Jul 04-31 Aug 09 Dr. Robert Woodbury Professor with tenure Interactive Arts & Technology 1 Jul 04 Dr. Daniele Moore Associate Professor Education 1 Sep 04-31 Aug 08 Dr. Greg Mori Assistant Professor Computing Science 10 Aug 04-31 Aug 08 Mr. James Budd Associate Professor Interactive Arts & Technology 1 Jul 04-31 Aug 09 Dr. Daniel Laitsch Assistant Professor Education 1 Jan 05-31 Aug 08
- Administrative Appointments
The Board approved the following administrative appointments:
|Dr. Andrew Bennet||Chair||Chemistry||1 Sep 04-31 Aug 09|
|Dr. James Delgrande||Director||Computing Science||1 Sep 04-31 Aug 05|
|Dr. Greg Dow||reappointed Chair||Economics||1 Sep 04-31 Aug 06|
|Dr. Rick Routledge||Chair||Statistics & Actuarial Science||1 Sep 04-31 Aug 07|
|Dr. Andrew Wister||Chair||Gerontology||1 Sep 04-31 Aug 07|
|Dr. Michael Plischke||Dean||Science||1 Sep 04-31 Aug 09|
|Dr. David MacLean||Dean||Health Sciences||1 Sep 04-31 Aug 09|
- Other matters were discussed.
The next Board of Governors Meeting will be held at 3:00 p.m. in Room 126 of the Halpern Centre, Burnaby Mountain Campus, on Thursday, September 30, 2004.