November 20, 2008 Meeting Summary
P. Percival; P. Rafferty; B. Taylor; J. Zaichkowsky
Regrets: N. McKinstry, Board Chair; B. Louie, Chancellor;
M. Stevenson, President; P. Dhillon; D. Pekarsky
A. Finance and Administration
Fundraising Progress Reports: The Board noted year-to-date progress reports as follows:
Fundraising Progress Report
2008/2009 Year to Date
To September 30, 2008
The Board approved the Terms of Reference for the Craig Newell Memorial Mathematics Education Fund.
The Board approved a rental rate for the newly renovated Hamilton Hall residence which re-opens in spring 2009, and annual increases of up to 3.7% for 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, as approved by the Board in March 2008 for all other residence properties.
The Board approved the re-appointments of Dagni Lund a Trustee of the Administrative/Union Pension Plan Board as the CUPE 3338 representative, from December 1, 2008 to November 30, 2011, and Dario Nonis as a Trustee of the Administrative/Union Pension Plan Board as a Universitiy representative for a three year term ending November 30, 2011.
The Board noted the Financial Year-to-Date Position to September 30, 2008.
The Board noted for information SFU's confirmation to the Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development of the University's second quarter budget forecast and projections for 2008-09 to 2011-12.
B. Academic Operations
The Board reviewed a report from the Vice-President, Academic on the impact of the hiring freeze on student:faculty ratios and heard an update on planning for 2009-10.
The Board approved the full program proposal for a Master of Arts in International Studies in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
The Board received for information the report on the External Review of the Faculty of Education.
Other matters dealt with by Senate on October 6 and November 3, 2008 were noted.
The Board received further information on the University's proposal to seek accreditation with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- The Board thanked outgoing Board member Pauline Rafferty for her outstanding contributions to the work of the Board during her term which ends on January 14, 2009.
- The Board heard that member K. Harding attended the November 19, 2008 Installation Ceremony of UBC's Chancellor, Sarah Morgan-Silvester.
- The Board noted that the SFU Surrey Gala Dinner on October 29, 2008 was well attended and a highly positive event for the campus.
- The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Research on recent research-related matters, including SFU's rankings in several categories of Re$earch Infosource Inc.'s Top 50 Research Universities.
- The Board was informed that SFU tied with the University of Victoria for first place in the comprehensive universities category of Maclean's magazine's annual rankings.
A. Finance and Administration
- The Board received for information the Fundraising Progress Report for September 2008.
- The draft minutes of and report to the Investment Advisory Committee meeting of October 8, 2008 were received by the Board for information.
- The Board approved that the endowment spending income allocation rate be set at 4% effective April 1, 2009, and that the inflation adjustment for fiscal year 2008/09 be waived.
- The Board received an update on the 2009/10 budget process.
- Other matters were discussed and approved.
B. Academic Operations
- Faculty Appointments
The following academic appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. David Baillie, re-appointed Tier I Canada Research Chair, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, 1 Nov 08 - 31 Oct 15
- Dr. Cenk Sahinalp, re-appointed Tier 2 Canada Research Chair, Comp. Sci., 1 Oct 08 - 30 Sep 13
- Dr. Kieran Egan, re-appointed Tier 1 Canada Research Chair, Education,
1 Jun 08 - 31 May 15
- Dr. Randall Peterman, re-appointed Tier 1 Canada Research Chair, Resource & Environmental Mgt., 1 Jun 08 - 31 May 15
- Dr. Stephen Wright, re-appointed Tier 2 Canada Research Chair, Psychology, 1 Jul 08 - 30 Jun 13
- Dr. Derek Bingham, re-appointed Tier 2 Canada Research Chair, Statistics & Actuarial Science, 1 Jul 08 - 30 Jun 13
- Dr. Steven Jones, Professor with tenure (half-time with BC Cancer Agency), Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, 1 Sep 08
- Dr. Mark Alan Brockman, Associate Prof., Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, 1 Sep 09 - 31 Aug 14
- Mr. Rudy Reimer, Instructor, Archaeology & First Nations Studies, 1 May 09 - 31 Aug 13
The Board approved:
- Professor Emeritus status for Dr. Paul Shaker, effective 31 Aug 09
- Professor Emerita status for Dr. Lynda Erickson, effective 31 Aug 09
- Professor Emeritus status for Dr. William Havens, retroactive to 31 Aug 08
- An Early Retirement in Biological Sciences, effective 31 Aug 09
- The Board was informed that a meeting of the ad hoc Advisory Committeee on Media, Communications, Community and Government Relations is being planned for December 2008.
- The Board received for information the President's Activity Report for September and October 2008.
- The Board learned that The University Presidents' Council of BC (TUPC) has been renamed The Research Universities' Council of BC (RUCBC) to better represent and differentiate the four research-intensive universities from the newly created provincial teaching universities.
- The Board received for information the report of the Employee Relations Committee for the period April 2006 to August 2008.
- The Board elected P. Rafferty to serve on the Nominating Committee.
- Other matters were discussed.
The next Board of Governors Meeting will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 29, 2009, in Strategy Room 420, Centre for Dialogue, SFU Vancouver, 580 West Hastings Street, Vancouver.