September 25, 2008 Meeting Summary
Regrets: B. Louie, Chancellor, P. Rafferty, J. Zaichkowsky
A. Finance and Administration
Fundraising Progress Reports: The Board noted year-to-date progress reports as follows:
Fundraising Progress Report
2008/2009 Year to Date
To July 31, 2008
To August 31, 2008
The Board approved the Terms of Reference for the:
- PIBC Annual Graduate Scholarship in Resource & Environmental Management Planning;
- Gordon Diewert Annual Community Service Entrance Award;
- YW Fong Annual Entrance Exchange Scholarships;
- French Cohort Program Endowment Fund;
- Minerva Foundation Award for Aboriginal Women;
- Renaissance Community Service Endowment Fund;
- Dossa Endowment Fund;
- Ryan Beedie Annual Community Service Award in Business;
- Emaar Canada Annual Entrance Scholarship in Urban Studies;
- Zioulas Family Annual Bursary Fund.
The Board approved the Institutional Accountability Plan and Report for 2008/09 to 2010/11 to be presened to the Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development. The Plan is available on the web at: http://www.sfu.ca/pres/administration/
The Board received the University's Statement of Financial Information for the year ended March 31, 2008.
The Board noted the Financial Year-to-Date Position to July 31, 2008.
The Board noted for information SFU's confirmation to the Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development of the University's first quarter budget forecast and projections for 2008/09 to 2011/12.
B. Academic Operations
The Board approved the change of the name of the Behavioural Ecology Research Group to the Evolutionary and Behavioural Ecology Research Group, as recommended by Senate.
Other matters dealt with by Senate on September 15, 2008 were noted.
- The Board received for information a copy of the revised Government Letter of Expectation between the Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development and Simon Fraser University for the period April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009.
- The Board was informed that the official opening of Blusson Hall had taken place on September 17, 2008.
- The Board learned that SFU's annual Terry Fox Walk/Run on September 25, 2008 had been very well attended by faculty, staff and students.
- The Board heard that proceeds from SFU's annual Alumni and Friends Golf Tournament on September 24, 2008 were being directed to student financial assistance.
- The President confirmed that as reported in the September 25, 2008 edition of the Vancouver Sun newspaper, SFU is engaged in discussions about ways in which the University might play a role in the training of health professionals for the Fraser Health Region.
- Board members were reminded that Convocation ceremonies will take place in Burnaby on October 9 and 10, 2008.
- The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Research on a number of recent research awards, initiatives and collaborations, research funding statistics, and new government programs.
- In a brief enrolment update from the Vice-President, Academic, the Board was informed that total domestic and international undergraduate enrolment has exceeded SFU's targets for fall 2008.
- The Board was informed that the University is considering an application for accreditation from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, a U.S.-based non-profit group recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Such accreditation would be useful for cross-border financial transactions and a requirement of the National Collegiate Athletic Association should SFU seek membership in that organization.
A. Finance and Administration
- The Board received for information the Fundraising Progress Reports for July and August 2008.
- The Board received for information a Capital Projects and Planning Program Status Report as of September 2008.
- Other matters were discussed and approved.
B. Academic Operations
- Faculty Appointments
The following academic appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. Anne Salomon, Assistant Prof., Resource & Environmental Mgt., 1 Apr 09 - 31 Aug 13
- Dr. Benedikt Fischer, Prof. with tenure, Health Sciences, 1 Sep 08
- Dr. Angela Brooks-Wilson, Associate Prof. with tenure, Kinesiology, half-time appointment, 1 Sep 08
- Administrative Appointments
The following administrative appointments were appproved and have been accepted:
- Dr. Roger Hayter, Chair, Geography, 1 Sep 08 - 31 Aug 11
- Dr. Tsuyoshi Kawasaki, Re-appointed Director, Asia-Canada Program,
1 Sep 08 - 31 Aug 11
- Dr. Paul St. Pierre, Director, Explorations Program, 1 Sep 08 - 31 Aug 11
The Board approved:
- Professor Emeritus status for Dr. Jeff Pelletier, effective 31 Dec 08
- Professor Emerita status for Dr. June Sturrock, retroactive to 31 Aug 05
- Professor Emerita status for Dr. Phyllis Wrenn, retroactive to 31 Dec 07
- The extension of a modifed appointment in Computing Science from
1 Feb 09 - 31 Jan 10
- A modified appointment in Molecular Biology & Biochemistry from 1 Jan 09 - 31 Dec 11
- A modified appointment in University Archives from 1 Sep 08 - 31 Dec 09
- The Board received for information the President's Activity Report for July and August 2008.
- Other matters were discussed.
- The Board approved the President's Agenda dated July 3, 208, which will be forwarded to Senate for information.
- The Board approved the Annual Performance Review recommendations for the Senior Executive Group.
- In accordance with Section 22(2) of the University Act, the Board waived the absences of Chancellor Brandt Louie at Board meetings in 2008. The Board recognized his exemplary service at Convocation events and his participation in Executive Committee and Special Board meetings.
The next Board of Governors Meeting will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 20, 2008 in Room 126 of the Halpern Centre, SFU Burnaby.