July 21, 2011 Meeting Summary
Board Members present: B. Elton, Chair; A. Petter, President; M. Fontaine; A. Giardini;
J. Hinchliffe; N. MacKay; J. McPhee; G. Myers; P. Percival; P. Tashakor; B. Taylor
Regrets: L. Brown-Ganzert, M. Francis, C. Taylor
A. Finance and Administration
a. Fundraising Progress Reports: The Board noted year-to-date progress reports as
Fundraising Progress Report
2011/2012 Year to Date
To May 31, 2011
To June 30, 2011
b. The Board approved the Terms of Reference for the:
- SFU Outstanding Orientation Leader Annual Alumni Award;
- BCIC Product Design Studio;
- CCS Venture Connection – Surrey Entrepreneurship Initiative;
- Ken Spencer Entrepreneur Incubator Initiative (subject to Senate approval of the program).
c. The Board received for information from the SFU Community Trust, the annual update of
activities and initiatives in the UniverCity development on Burnaby Mountain.
d. The Board approved the Institutional Accountability Plan and Report for 2011/12 to
2013/14 to be presented to the Ministry of Advanced Education.
e. The Board received for information and comments draft #3 of SFU’s self-evaluation
report for the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) in
connection with the process being undertaken by the University to obtain accreditation
from the NWCCU.
f. The Board approved a new Policy B 10.15 – Consultation with Students on Tuition and
Fees, effective immediately.
g. The Board noted for information the Year-to-Date Budget to Actual Variance Report as of
May 31, 2011.
B. Academic Operations
a. The Board approved the following actions recommended by Senate:
- The Full Program Proposal for an Elementary Generalist Minor within the Faculty of Education, effective Spring 2012;
- The Full Program Proposal for a Secondary Teaching Minor within the Faculty of Education, effective Spring 2012.
b. Other matters dealt with by Senate on June 13 and July 4, 2011 were noted for
a. The Board Chair introduced and welcomed Jo Hinchliffe, elected by staff for three years,
and Marc Fontaine and Pasha Tashakor, elected by students for one year, who were
attending their first Board meeting since beginning their terms on June 1, 2011.
b. The Board Chair thanked outgoing Alumni Order-in-Council member, Jeanette McPhee,
for her six years of exemplary service to the Board ending on July 28, 2011.
c. The Board Chair introduced and welcomed Philip Steenkamp, appointed
Vice-President, External Relations effective July 1, 2011.
d. The President reported on activities in which he has recently been engaged, including
his recent trip to China during which he signed a Memorandum of Understanding with
the China Scholarship Council, visited with SFU’s partner universities – Zhejiang
University, Tsinghua University and Communication University of China – and met with
SFU alumni in Shanghai and Beijing.
e. President Petter gave a brief report to the Board on recent meetings regarding SFU
Surrey that he attended with a number of federal and provincial government officials.
f. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Research on a number of recent
research awards, initiatives, funding announcements/achievements, and other research
g. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Academic on various academic
A. Finance and Administration
a. The draft minutes of and report to the Investment Advisory Committee meeting of May
11, 2011 were received by the Board for information.
B. Academic Operations
a. Faculty Appointments
The following academic appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. Paul Klein, Associate Professor w/tenure, Economics, 1 Sep 11
- Dr. Dana Olwan, Ruth Wynn Woodward Chair in Women's Studies (half-time appt.), Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies, 1 Sep 11 – 31 Aug 12
- Dr. Kelley Lee, Professor with tenure, Health Sciences, 1 Sep 11
- Dr. Ash Parameswaran, re-appointed J.L. Wighton Professor of Experimental and Laboratory Studies, Engineering Science, 1 Sep 09 to 31 Aug 12 (retroactive)
- Dr. Damon Poburko, Assistant Professor, Biomedical Physiology & Kinesiology, 1 Jan 12 – 31 Aug 15
- Mr. Christian Müris, Instructor, Economics, 1 Sep 11 – 31 Aug 15
- Dr. Peter Ruben, re-appointed Burnaby Mountain University Professor, Biomedical Physiology & Kinesiology, May 11 – 30 Apr 16
- Dr. Thomas Lawrence, W.J. VanDusen Professor, Beedie School of Business, 1 Apr 11 – 31 Mar 16
b. Administrative Appointments
The following administrative appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. Glen Tibbits, Chair, Biomedical Physiology & Kinesiology, 1 May 11 – 30 Apr 14
The Board approved:
- Modified appointment (45%), Economics, 1 Sep 11 – 31 Aug 12
- Modified joint appointment (60%), Political Science and Gender, Sexuality & Women’s Studies, 1 Sep 11 - 31 Aug 12
C. External Relations
a. The Board received for information an update on Government Relations matters.
b. The Board received for information University Advancement’s Fundraising Summary for
c. The Board reviewed the envision>SFU Discussion Paper prepared by the President
which describes the feedback received and proposes the elements of a strategic vision
for consideration by the SFU community.
a. The Board received the President’s Activity Report for May and June 2011.
b. The Board was informed that a series of well-attended information sessions have been
held with members of the Administrative/Union Staff Pension Plan regarding the going
concern liability and solvency issues.
c. The Board heard a report from the Vice-President, Finance and Administration on a
serious employee injury. She also provided for information a brief report on
injury/incident statistics for the period 2008-2010 and undertook to provide similar
reports to the Board on a regular basis.
d. Other matters were discussed.
a. The Board approved that Brandt C. Louie be awarded the title ‘Chancellor Emeritus,’ in
accordance with Policy B10.13.
The next Board of Governors meeting will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, September 22, 2011 at SFU Surrey, Room TBA.