November 24, 2011 Meeting Summary
November 24, 2011
Board Members present: B. Taylor, Acting Chair; C. Taylor, Chancellor; A. Petter, President;
B. Cunningham; M. Fontaine; M. Francis; A. Giardini; J. Hinchliffe; N. MacKay; G. Myers;
P. Percival; J. Singh; P. Tashakor
Regrets: B. Elton, Chair; L. Brown-Ganzert
The Acting Chair welcomed Dr. Carole Taylor, attending her first Board meeting since being appointed Chancellor in June, Mr. Bill Cunningham, Alumni Order-in-Council member replacing Jeanette McPhee for a three-year term from September 30, 2011 to July 31, 2014, and Mr. Jagmohan Singh, appointed by Order-in-Council to replace Peter Dhillon for a two-year term effective October 27, 2011 to October 31, 2013.
B. Taylor also introduced Nicole Cameron, Associate General Counsel and Associate University Counsel, for the duration of Li-Jeen Broshko’s parental leave.
A. Finance and Administration
a. Fundraising Progress Reports: The Board noted year-to-date progress reports as
Fundraising Progress Report
2011/2012 Year to Date
To September 30, 2011
To October 31, 2011
b. The Board approved the Terms of Reference for the:
- Andrew Petter & Maureen Maloney Endowment Fund for Aboriginal Students;
- HSBC Women in Business Leadership Awards;
- MacKay LLP Annual Undergraduate Scholarship in Accounting;
- Margaret Brown Lifelong Learning Staff Achievement Award;
- SFU BC-India Industry Engagement Fund;
- Lesley Cormack Excellence in Teaching Endowment Fund.
c. The Board received for information a report on food services at the Burnaby campus and
the community engagement process underway in advance of an early 2012 decision
regarding the issues of whether to negotiate an extension to the existing food services
contract for a five year period, proceed to a Request for Proposals, or consider a
different delivery model.
d. The Board noted for information the Year-to-Date Budget to Actual Variance Report as of
September 30, 2011.
e. The Board noted for information SFU’s confirmation to the Ministry of Advanced
Education of the University’s second quarter budget forecast and projections for
2011/12 to 2014/15.
f. The Board approved the appointments/re-appointment of the following Trustees of the
Administrative/Union Pension Plan Board:
- Mr. Bill Whitehead, appointed Poly Party representative replacing Mr. Leo Eutsler through to November 13, 2013;
- Mr. Mike McAdam, appointed University representative replacing Mr. Dario Nonis from December 1, 2011 through to November 30, 2014;
- Ms. Dagni Lund, re-appointed CUPE representative from December 1, 2011 through to November 30, 2014.
g. The Board received for information a report about SFU’s employee injury experience
and related mitigating strategies.
h. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Finance and Administration on the
major activities in the departments within her portfolio for the preceding two months.
i. Consistent with the new principles and procedures approved by the Board for setting
Residence fees at SFU Burnaby, the Board received for information the monthly rental
rates for 2012-13.
B. Academic Operations
a. The Board approved the following actions recommended by Senate:
- The Full Program Proposal for an Honours Program in Humanities in the Department of Humanities in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences;
- The Full Program Proposal for a Bachelor of Arts in Cinema Studies (Major, Minor, and Honours) in the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology.
b. The Board received for information the 2010/11 Annual Report of the Research Ethics
Board and the 2010/11 Annual Report of the Senate Library Committee.
c. Other matters dealt with by Senate on October 3 and November 7, 2011 were noted for
d. The Board approved an amendment to the Faculty Renewal Plan Process such that
once approved by the Board, the faculty search process can run for two years without
further authorization by the Board.
e. The Board received for information the mid-year update of the 2011/12 Faculty Renewal
f. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Academic on various academic
related matters, including an update on the ongoing process toward receiving
accreditation from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
a. The President reported on his recent successful trip to India with SFU colleagues,
during which relationships were strengthened with new and existing academic and
industry partners to help position SFU as the Canada’s ‘bridge to India’ through the
signing of memoranda of understanding and the establishment of several initiatives to
attract top students from Indian schools.
b. President Petter gave a brief government relations report to the Board in which he
commented on the successful November 4, 2011 opening of Podium 2 at SFU Surrey
attended by federal and provincial representatives. He also reported on a
recommendation in the final pre-budget report of the all-party Standing Committee of
Finance that the provincial government recommit to the 2006 Memorandum of
Understanding between SFU and the Province to double the size of SFU Surrey from
2,500 to 5,000 FTEs by 2015. A number of recent successful SFU Surrey related events,
including the annual Surrey Gala and Diwali celebrations, were also noted.
c. The President informed the Board that he has initiated a monthly “Breakfast with the
President” to provide opportunities for faculty, staff and students to share with him
perspectives about University issues in an informal setting.
d. The Acting Board Chair thanked outgoing Order-in-Council member, Michael Francis,
for his six years of exemplary service to the Board ending on December 8, 2011.
e. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Research on a number of recent
research awards, initiatives, funding announcements/achievements, and other research
A. Finance and Administration
a. The Board received fundraising progress reports for September and October 2011.
b. The draft minutes of and report to the Investment Advisory Committee meeting of
October 5, 2011 and an supplementary update of investment performance to September
30, 2011were received by the Board for information.
c. Other matters were discussed.
B. Academic Operations
a. Faculty Appointments
The following academic appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. André Gerolymatos, re-appointed Hellenic Canadian Congress of B.C. Chair in Hellenic Studies, History, 1 Sep 11 – 31 Aug 16
- Dr. Farid Golnaraghi, re-appointed Burnaby Mountain University Professor, Engineering Science, 1 Aug 11 – 31 Aug 16
- Dr. Srabana Dasgupta, Assistant Professor, Beedie School of Business, 1 Jul 12-31 Aug 16
- Dr. Jack little, University Professor, History, 1 Sep 11 – 31 Aug 16
The Board approved:
- An early retirement, Contemporary Arts, effective 31 Aug 11
- An early retirement, Biological Sciences, effective 31 Aug 12
- An early retirement, Psychology, effective 31 Dec 12
- A modified appointment (60%), Beedie School of Business, 1 May 12 – 30 Apr 14
a. The Board received the President’s Activity Report for September and October 2011.
b. The Board approved the Vision and accompanying Goals as a statement of the
aspirations and mission of Simon Fraser University and the associated tagline
“Engaging the World.”
c. The Board received a November 2011 status report on sustainability at SFU.
d. The Board received reports from the Vice-Presidents Academic and External Relations
on potential changes to the structures of their respective portfolios.
e. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Advancement and Alumni
Engagement on potential changes to policies GP 3, Donations and GP 35, Named
Recognition of Buildings, Academic Endowments and Academic Units. Draft revisions
would be subject to the usual consultation process.
f. Other matters were discussed.
The next Board of Governors meeting will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 26, 2012 in Strategy Room 420, The Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue, SFU Vancouver, 580 West Hastings Street.