March 22, 2012 Meeting Summary
Board members present: B. Elton, Chair; A. Petter, President; C. Taylor, Chancellor;
B. Cunningham; M. Fontaine; A. Giardini; J. Hinchliffe; N. MacKay; G. Myers; P. Percival;
P. Tashakor; B. Taylor
Regrets: L. Brown-Ganzert; J. Singh
A. Finance and Administration
a. Fundraising Progress Reports: The Board noted year-to-date progress reports as
|Fundraising Progress Reports
2011/2012 Year to Date
To January 31, 2012
To February 29, 2012
b. The Board approved Terms of Reference for the:
- Dr. Nancy Hall Graduate Endowment;
- Chancellor Brandt C. Louie Legacy Endowment;
- Humanities Graduate Endowment;
- Alan and Margaret Eyre Endowment;
- Association of Latin American Students Annual Award;
- African & Caribbean Heritage Students’ Association Award;
- Parminder Parhar Endowment Trust;
- Charles Olson Endowed Award in English;
- Goldcorp Centre for the Arts Community Endowment Fund;
- Mary Steinhauser Memorial Bursary for Aboriginal Students.
c. The Board approved the University’s 2012/13 Operating Budget and Financial Plan,
including tuition fees for undergraduate and graduate programs, and Student Services
and Recreation-Athletics fees. A link to the document is available on the Finance web
d. The Board approved revisions to Confidentiality Policy I10.10.
e. The Board received for information the University Planning Framework update.
f. The Board approved the appointment of Mr. Mehrdad Rastan as a Trustee of the
Administrative/Union Pension Plan Board from January 1, 2012 to November 30, 2014,
to replace Ms. Dagni Lund as the CUPE representative.
g. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Finance and Administration about
the major activities in the departments within her portfolio.
B. Academic Operations
a. The Board approved the following actions recommended by Senate:
- The dissolution of the Major and Joint Majors in Latin American Studies within the
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Beedie School of Business, Faculty of
Communication, Art and Technology and Faculty of Environment, effective Fall
- The Full Program Proposal for a Certificate in Environmental Literacy within the
Faculty of Environment, effective September 2012;
- The Full Program Proposal for a Joint Major and Honours in Earth Sciences and
Chemistry in the Departments of Earth Sciences and Chemistry within the Faculty
of Science, effective September 2012;
- The 2012/13 Enrollment Plan attached as Appendix A to Summary for Senate, and
2012/13 domestic and international undergraduate admission targets to each
Faculty, by semester and basis of admission category as indicated in Tables C1
and C2 respectively of Appendix C (Senate Paper S.12-42);
- The proposal to change First Nations Studies from a Program to a Department
within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
b. The Board received for information the 2011 Annual Report of the Senate Committee on
International Activities and the 2010/11 Annual Report of the Senate Graduate Studies
c. Other matters dealt with by Senate on February 6 and March 5, 2012 were noted.
d. The Board approved the 2012/13 Faculty Renewal Plan.
e. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Academic on various academic
a. President Petter provided an update to the Board on the successful February 20, 2012
launch of SFU’s new Strategic Vision at the Bill Reid Gallery, and subsequent roll out of
the Vision home page, which includes a newly released animation video and interactive
b. The Board heard an update from President Petter on government relations matters,
most particularly a series of successful meetings held in Victoria on February 29, and
on the morning of March 1, with individual Ministers and with each of the government
and opposition caucuses.
c. The President reported on his participation in a panel presentation on the theme
Universities, community engagement and widening participation at the March 13-15
Going Global 2012 conference in the United Kingdom. He indicated that, while there,
two Memoranda of Understanding were signed: one with the Prince’s Foundation for
Building Community to develop an international knowledge network that advances
sustainable urban development; and a second with New Delhi’s Jawaharial Nehru
University. A well-attended SFU Alumni event was also held.
d. The Chair congratulated the following Board members who have been re-appointed by
- Mr. Brian Taylor, re-appointed to February 11, 2014;
- Ms. Lynda Brown-Ganzert, re-appointed to January 14, 2015;
- Ms. Nancy MacKay, re-appointed to October 22, 2015.
e. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Research on research-related
matters and notable achievements.
A. Finance and Administration
a. The Board received fundraising progress reports for January and February 2012.
b. The Board approved the award of contracts to Delta Vancouver Suites Hotel and The
Lazy Gourmet Inc. for the provision of full service catering for SFU Vancouver campuses.
c. The Board authorized the University to enter into negotiations with the Simon Fraser
Student Society, and related parties, with respect to the creation of new student space at
the Burnaby Campus, contingent on the success of a student referendum.
d. The Board received for information a report from the Vice-President, Finance and
e. Other matters were discussed.
B. Academic Operations
a. Faculty Appointments
The following academic appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. Jamie Scott, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry/Health Sciences, re-appointed
Tier I Canada Research Chair in Molecular Immunology, 1 May 11 – 30 Apr 18
- Dr. Bojan Mohar, Mathematics, re-appointed Tier I Canada Research Chair in
Graph Theory, 1 Aug 12 – 30 Jul 19
- Dr. Bozena Kaminska, Engineering Science, re-appointed Tier I Canada Research
Chair in Wireless Sensor Networks, 1 Apr 12 – 31 Mar 19
- Dr. Gail Anderson, Criminology, re-appointed Burnaby Mountain Professor,
1 Jan 12 – 31 Dec 22
- Dr. Michael Howlett, Political Science, re-appointed Burnaby Mountain Professor,
1 Jan 12 – 31 Dec. 22
- Dr. John Gillroy, International Studies, appointed Simons Visiting Chair in Dialogue
on International Law and Human Society, 1 Jan 12 – 30 Apr 12
b. Administrative Appointments
The following administrative appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. Gordon Myers, appointed Associate Vice-President, Academic,
1 Sep 12 – 31 Aug 17
- Dr. David Mirhady, re-appointed Chair, Department of Humanities,
1 Sep 12 – 31 Aug 14
- Dr. Martin Hahn, sppointed Chair, Department of Philosophy, 1 Sep 12 – 31 Aug 15
The Board approved:
- An early retirement, Resource and Environmental Management, effective 31 Aug 12
- An early retirement, Computing Science, effective 31 Dec 12
a. The Board received for information the President’s Activity Report for January and
b. President Petter informed the Board that a letter from The Research Universities’
Council of B.C., jointly signed by the presidents of the province’s post secondary
institutions, has been sent to the Minister of Advanced Education regarding the Budget
and Fiscal Plan 2012/13-2014/15, tabled in the Legislature on February 21, 2012.
c. The President of the Alumni Association and Director of Alumni Relations gave a
presentation to the Board about the development of a strategic plan for the engagement
of SFU alumni.
d. Other matters were discussed.
a. The Board approved the appointment of Dr. Gordon Myers, as Associate Vice-President,
Academic, for a five-year term effective September 1, 2012.
b. Other matters were discussed.
The next Board of Governors meeting will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 31, 2012 in the Halpern Centre, Room 126, SFU Burnaby.