March 21, 2013 Meeting Summary
Board Members present: B. Taylor, Chair; A. Petter, President; L. Brown-Ganzert; B. Cunningham; J. Francis; A. Giardini;
W. Grant-John; A. Hall; J. Hinchliffe; J. Kim; N. Schmitt; J. Singh
Regrets: A. Pilarinos; D. Poole; C. Taylor
A. Finance and Administration
a. Fundraising Progress Reports: The Board noted year-to-date progress reports as follows:
|Fundraising Progress Report
2012/2013 Year to Date
To January 31, 2013
To February 28, 2013
b. The Board approved the Terms of Reference for the:
- Frances Mary Beattie Endowment Fund;
- Steven Shane Annual Graduate Scholarship in Visual Arts;
- Steven Shane Annual Undergraduate Scholarship in Film.
c. The Board approved revisions to Policy GP 25 Response to Violence and Threatening Behaviour effective immediately.
d. The Board approved the University’s 2013/14 Operating Budget and Financial Plan, including tuition fees for
undergraduate and graduate programs, and Student Services and Recreation-Athletics fees. A link to the document is
available on the Finance web site: http://www.sfu.ca/finance/publications.html
e. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Finance and Administration summarizing the major activities and
initiatives in the departments within her portfolio.
B. Academic Operations
a. The Board approved the following actions recommended by Senate:
- The dissolution of the Joint Major in Sociology and Art and Culture Studies in the School for the Contemporary Arts within the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology, effective Fall 2014;
- The Full Program Proposal for a Certificate in Business Analytics and Decision Making within the Beedie School of Business, effective Fall 2013;
- The Full Program Proposal for a Joint Major in World Literature and History in the Program in World Literature and Department of History within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, effective Fall 2013;
- The Full Program Proposal for a Joint Major in World Literature and International Studies in the Program in World Literature and School for International Studies within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, effective Fall 2013;
- The Full Program Proposal for a Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership within the Faculty of Education, effective Fall 2013; and,
- The 2013/2014 Enrollment Plan attached as Appendix A to Summary for Senate, and 2013/14 domestic and international undergraduate admission targets to each Faculty, by semester and basis of admission category as indicated in Tables C1 and C2 respectively of Appendix C (Senate Paper S.13-39).
b. The Board received for information:
- The Annual Report on Student Discipline Matters - Non-academic Discipline Incidents;
- The Annual Report for fiscal year 2011/2012 of the Senate Policy Committee on Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries;
- The Five Year Academic Plan of the Vice-President Academic, 2013 to 2018; and,
- The Report on Learning Outcomes and Assessment.
c. Other matters dealt with by Senate on February 4 and March 4, 2013 were noted for information.
d. The Board approved the 2013/14 Faculty Renewal Plan.
e. The Board received for information the 2012 report on the University’s progress towards accreditation with the Northwest
Commission on Colleges and Universities.
a. The Board Chair welcomed Wendy Grant-John, attending her first Board meeting since being appointed by Order-
in-Council to replace Nancy MacKay effective January 31, 2013 to July 31, 2014.
b. The Board Chair welcomed Peter Ruben to the open session of the meeting, noting that he has been elected to the
Board by faculty to replace Nicolas Schmitt effective June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2016.
c. The President informed the Board that while there has been no change in the amount of the Province’s $50 million total
cut to the post-secondary education system, it will now be spread over three years instead of two. SFU is 10% of the
d. President Petter reported that he had spoken about the Opportunity Agenda for B.C. and the emerging skills gap to the
Surrey Board of Trade on March 20, 2013 and would do so again at Board of Trade events in Burnaby and Vancouver on
April 3 and 4 respectively. With respect to the March 21st Federal Budget, he expressed the hope that core support for the
tri-council granting agencies and research programs would remain stable. He noted that while both provincially and
federally labour market shortages in the trades is seen as a priority, it is critical that attention also be focussed on the
value of a university education to addressing the looming skills shortage across the entire economy.
e. President Petter commented on recent media attention about the rental of University space to an external group
opposed to the use of vaccines. He referenced the President’s Statement on Respectful Debate at Simon Fraser
University, noting that the value universities place on free expression does not imply endorsement of the views that are
expressed, but subjects them to analysis and criticism that may result in their modification or rejection.
f. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, Research on research-related matters and notable achievements.
A. Finance and Administration
a. The Board received fundraising progress reports for January and February 2013.
b. The Board approved that the contract for Architectural/Prime Consultant Services for the Build SFU – Student Union
Building and Stadium Project be awarded to Perkins+Will.
c. The Board approved the Contribution Agreement between Environment Canada and SFU governing Phase V of The
China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development Project.
d. Other matters were discussed.
B. Academic Operations
a. Faculty Appointments
The following academic appointments were approved and have been accepted:
- Dr. Bohdan Nosyk, Health Sciences, Associate Professor & Endowed Chair in Health Economics HIV/AIDS, 1 Feb 13 – 31 Aug 17
- Dr. Neil Branda, Chemistry, re-appointed as a Tier I Canada Research Chair in Materials Science, 1 Jan 13 – 31 Dec 19
- Dr. Nicholas Dulvy, Biological Sciences, re-appointed as a Tier II Canada Research Chair in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation, 1 Jan 13 – 31 Dec 17
- Dr. Karen Kohfeld, Resource & Environmental Management, re-appointed as a Tier II Canada Research Chair in Climate, Resource and Global Change, 1 Apr 12 – 31 Aug 17
- Dr. Charlotte Waddell, Health Sciences, re-appointed as a Tier II Canada Research Chair in Children’s Health Policy, 1 Mar 13 – 28 Feb 18
- Dr. Kathleen Akins, Philosophy, renewal as Burnaby Mountain University Professor, 1 Jan 12 – 31 Dec 14
b. Administrative Appointments
The Board approved:
- Dr. Wade Parkhouse, re-appointed Dean, Graduate Studies, 1 Sep 13 – 31 Aug 18
- Dr. Martin Ester, re-appointed Director, Computing Science, 1 May 13 – 30 Apr 15
The Board approved:
- A modified appointment (80%) in Communication, 1 May 13 – 30 Apr 15
C. External Relations
a. The Board received a report from the Vice-President, External Relations summarizing the major activities and initiatives
in the areas within his portfolio as of March 2013.
b. The Board heard an update from the Vice-President, Advancement and Alumni Engagement about SFU’s 50th
c. Other matters were discussed.
a. The Board received the President’s Activities Report for January and February 2013.
b. Philip Steenkamp, Vice-President, External Relations and Joanne Curry, Associate Vice-President, External Relations
gave a presentation to and discussed with the Board a draft Community Engagement Strategy to support SFU’s vision
as an Engaged University and the goal “To be Canada’s most community-engaged university.”
The next Board of Governors meeting will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 30, 2013 in the Halpern Centre, Room 126, SFU Burnaby.