B.S.Ch.E. Chemical Engineering (University of Michigan) 1978
M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering (Northwestern University)1979
Ph.D. Physiology & Biophysics (University Southern California) 1984
Phone: (778) 782-9101
Dr. Finegood is currently seconded to SFU’s Centre for Dialogue where she is developing an innovative new Semester in Dialogue on health and wellness. She returned to SFU in July 2017 after a 5-year leave of absence to serve as the President and CEO of the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research. Diane has also served in other leadership roles including: inaugural Scientific Director of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Institute of Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes (2000-2008), Executive Director of The CAPTURE Project (2009-2012) and Principal Investigator on the b-Cell Apoptosis Network (1999-2004).
Diane’s scholarship has spanned the four pillars of health research ranging from basic biomedical science and clinical research on both type 1 and type 2 diabetes to health services research and population and public health research relevant to obesity and chronic disease prevention. Her current research interests include public-private partnerships and systems thinking to address complex problems.
Complex Systems / Systems Thinking
- Rutter H, Savona N, Glonti K, Bibby J, Cummins S, Finegood DT, Greaves F, Harper L, Hawe P, Moore L, Petticrew M, Rehfuess E, Shiell A, Thomas J, White M. The need for a complex systems model of evidence for public health. Lancet. 2017 Jun 13. S0140-6736(17): 31267-9.
- Riley, B.L., Robinson, K.L., Gamble, J., Finegood, D.T., Sheppard, D., Penney, T.L., Best, A. Knowledge to action for solving complex problems: insights from a review of nine international cases. Health Promot Chronic Dis Prev Can 35(3): 47-53, 2015.
- Johnston, L,M., Matteson, C.L., Finegood, D.T. Systems Science and Obesity Policy: A Novel Framework for Analyzing and Rethinking Population-Level Planning. American Journal of Public Health 104(7): 1270-8, 2014.
- Finegood, D.T., Johnston, L.M., Steinberg, M., Matteson, C.M., Deck, P.B. Complex Systems and Behavior Change. In: Health Behavior Change in Populations. Kahan, S., Green, L.W., Gielen, A., Fagen, P. (eds). Johns Hopkins University Press, 435-458, 2014.
- Holmes, B.J., Finegood, D.T., Riley, B.L., Best, A. Systems Thinking in Dissemination and Implementation Research. In: Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health: Translating Science to Practice. Brownson, R.C., Colditz, G.A., Proctor, E.K. (eds). New York: Oxford University Press, 175-191, 2012.Rose, A., Finegood, D.T. Postscript: Learning from the Experience of Developing and Running Canada on the Move. Can J Pub Health. 97(Suppl 1): S41-S42, 2005.
- Johnston, L.M., Finegood, D.T. Cross-sector partnerships and public health: challenges and opportunities with the private sector. Annual Rev Public Health 36: 255-271, 2015.
- Johnston, L., Vander Wekken, S., Finegood, D.T. Public-Private Partnerships to Prevent and Manage Obesity and Non-Communicable Diseases. In: Oxford Bibliographies in Public Health, Ed. McQueen, D. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.
Obesity and Chronic Disease
- Finegood, D.T., Johnston, L., Giabbanelli, P.J., Deck, P.B., Frood, S., Burgos-Liz, L., Steinberg, M., Best, A. Complexity and Systems Theory. In: Oxford Bibliographies in Public Health, Ed. Green, L. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Swinburn, B.A., Sacks, G., Hall, K.D., McPherson, K., Finegood, D.T., Moodie, M.L., Gortmaker, S.L. The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local environments. Lancet 378: 804-14, 2011.
- Finegood, D.T. The Complex Systems Science of Obesity. In: The Oxford Handbook of the Social Science of Obesity, Ed. Cawley, J.H., Oxford University Press, 208-236, 2011.
- Daar, A.S., Singer, P.A., Persad, D.L., Pramming, S.K., Matthews, D.R., Beaglehole, R., Bernstein, A., Borysiewicz, L.K., Colagiuri, S., Ganguly, N., Glass, R.I., Finegood, D.T., Koplan, J., Nabel, N.G., Sarna, G., Sarrafzadegan, N., Smith, R., Yach, D., Bell, J. Grand Challenges in Chronic Non-Communicable Diseases: The top 20 policy and research priorities for conditions such as diabetes, stroke and heart disease. Nature 450: 494-496, 2007.
Mathematical Modeling and Biomedical Research on Diabetes
- Finegood, D.T., McArthur, M.D., Kojwang, D., Thomas, M.J., Topp, B.G., Leonard, T., Buckingham, R.E. Beta-cell mass dynamics in Zucker Diabetic Fatty rats: Rosiglitazone jhprevents the rise in net cell death. Diabetes 50: 1021-1029, 2001.
- Trudeau, J.D., Dutz, J.P., Arany, E., Hill, D.J., Fieldus, W.E., Finegood, D.T. Perspectives in Diabetes. Neonatal beta-cell apoptosis: a trigger for autoimmune diabetes? Diabetes 49: 1-7, 2000.
- Finegood, D.T., Scaglia, L., Bonner-Weir, S. Dynamics of beta-cell mass in the growing rat pancreas: estimation with a simple mathematical model. Diabetes 44:249-256, 1995.
- Bergman, R.N., Finegood, D.T., Ader, M. Assessment of insulin sensitivity in vivo. Endocrine Reviews 6: 45-86, 1985.
Recent Presentations / Video Interviews:
- Webinar, The Australian Prevention Partnership. Practical strategies for mobilizing knowledge in complex systems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klkZBkw7eiA&feature=youtu.be (March 2017)
- Global Civic Policy Society's Public Salon, Vancouver. Complex is not the Same as Complicated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX6ML4ydY7o (October 2016)
- KT 2.0 panel discussion including Rethinking Context, A Funder’s Role, Research Culture, Embracing Complexity and Tips and Tools (2016) http://www.msfhr.org/ktencounters/kt-2.0
- The Australian Prevention Partnership Centre. Shifting the paradigm in chronic disease prevention from attribution to adaptation: What data do we need?; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7LL91CG6Y (October 2014)
- Australian Prevention Partnership Centre (APPC) Investigators' Forum, Sydney, Australia. Keynote Speaker: The food industry: Friend or foe?; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLe-AGEtNEg (October 2014)
- Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research, Vancouver. A Whole Systems Approach to Implement Triple Aim Solutions for a "Wicked Problem"; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPePOtrdJ8Y (May 2013)
- 29th Annual Scientific Meeting, Orlando, FL, U.S.A. Working with the Food Industry to Address Obesity? Is it Possible, Appropriate and/or Necessary?; http://www.vimeoinfo.com/video/30183269/food-industry-friend-or-foe-dianes-opening-ar (October 2011)