- Camp Info
- About Us
Online Interview: Frequently Asked Questions
What is the format of the Volunteer Interview?
Volunteer interviews have been moved to an online platform called Canvas. The interview will take place in the form of an online quiz that contains a mix of open-ended questions and multiple choice responses.
- Don't let this scare you. We really want everyone to succeed and do well. Our main goal is to get to know you better!
- You will be assigned a specific day to complete the interview. They will be held on the following dates & times:
- May 3rd, 4th, and 5th, 2021
How do I create an account on Canvas?
You will be sent an invitation to join a platform called Canvas through the primary email used in your volunteer application. You will be then asked to create an account where you will enter your name, password, and other information. Once these steps are completed, you will gain access to the “course” where the interview will take place.
- If you have not received this email invitation by the morning of your scheduled interview date, please contact Amanda Cordeiro (Head Programmer of Volunteer Services) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Double check all Junk or Spam folders as the invitation may be sorted into these filters
- If you are still having troubles, please click the following link and follow the steps listed: http://www.sfu.ca/canvas/instructors/course-admin/how-do-I-accept-an-invitation-for-an-external-account.html
How do I start the Volunteer Interview?
Volunteer interviews are expected to take place May 3rd - 5th, 2021. All applicants will receive an email from SFU Canvas inviting you to participate in the course “Volunteer Interviews 2021”. Once you receive this email on the day of your interview, you will click “Get Started” and begin. You will only be able to complete the interview on your assigned date.
Can I get help from my friends or family for this interview?
This interview is a way for us to get to know you better. This interview is only to be completed by you, the applicant, and only you. You are allowed to have help taking the photo for that portion of the interview.
What happens if my computer glitches during the quiz?
We understand that technical difficulties happen! Please ensure you have strong internet connection and a reliable computer prior to starting the quiz. Throughout the quiz, Canvas should automatically save your progress after each question.
- In the event you have to restart your browser, your responses should still be there.
- If you have any questions or concerns before the interview, feel free to send us an email to email@example.com with the subject line "2021 Volunteer Inquiry - Your Name"
How can I prepare for my volunteer interview?
Please think about why you want to volunteer with us and how your experiences will help you be successful in this role. We will also be looking for leadership, professionalism, and teamwork skills.
Can I reschedule my interview?
You were assigned an interview date based upon the availability that you provided on your initial volunteer application. If you need to switch your interview date, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday April 30th, 2021 at 4:00PM requesting to have your interview date changed.
- Please note that due to a large number of candidates, some interview dates may already be full.
- Please also note that requesting a change may have a negative impact on your application.
Something last minute has come up and I am going to be late or will not be able to complete the interview. What should I do?
We understand that last minute things do come up. If this is the case, please immediately email email@example.com explaining the situation. We will respond to you as soon as we can.
When will I hear about my results?
We are hoping to notify you about the status of your application by the end of the day on May 10th, 2020. Due to COVID-19, we may have to delay our decisions, but we will provide you with an update by that day. You will receive 1 of 2 emails.
1) An email stating that you have moved forward to the next step where you will submit your availability
2) Regrets, after careful consideration we are unable to offer you a position with SFU Camps.
For all volunteer inquiries, please contact:
We aim to provide a response to all inquiries within 2 business days.
Please include "2021 Volunteer Inquiry - Your Name" in the subject line of your email.