How do I create a Canvas Space?
Canvas Spaces allows users to create Canvas “shells” similar to course shells, but for general and non-academic purposes. Such extended uses can include student clubs/groups, research group collaborations and so on. Any user with an SFU ID can set up a Canvas Space; an SFU maillist can then be used to populate other members into the space.
- Canvas Spaces can be created by anyone (students, staff and instructors). You can use these areas for student clubs, committees and other collaboration purposes.
- You must set up an SFU maillist in order to populate / put other people into your Canvas Space. Only @sfu.ca addresses can be added to a SFU maillist
1. Create a maillist if you haven't already done so. Create the maillist here.
2. Click Canvas Spaces near the bottom of the side navigation bar.
3. Click + Create New Space.
4. Enter a space name .
5.Enter a description .
6. Enter the name of the mailing list you would like to add .
7. Click Create Space .
You will be taken to your Canvas Spaces area. You can click on the People link to make sure the maillist members have been added. Please note external accounts won’t be added.
As of May 2016, there is a bug where creators and members of Canvas Spaces are not able to delete discussions in their space. If you wish to delete any discussions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.