How do I mute/unmute assignments while grading?
By default, Canvas allows students to see assignment grades as soon as the instructor has graded the assignment. In some cases, instructors may wish to hold student grades until all assignments have been graded, and then release grades to all students at the same time. To hide student grades temporarily, an instructor can choose to mark an assignment as"muted".
Students will be able to submit the muted assignment and comments. Instructors can view student comments, grade the assignment, and make comments but instructor comments will not be released to the student until the assignment has been un-muted.
When you un-mute, the grade will be shown and any new comments will be made visible. If you mute again, the comments will be visible but the grade will be hidden.
1. To mute an assignment, discussion, quiz, or external tool, click on Grades in the course navigation menu on the left-hand side.
2. Hover your mouse over to the bottom-right corner of each assignment title and select the blue drop-down arrow. Select the Mute Assignment option.
3. Confirm Mute Assignment. Click the Mute Assignment button. Students will be unable to view their grades, including grade and score changes, submission comments, and curved assignments for the assignment.
4. The student will be able to see the muted assignment. Muted assignments will be indicated with a muted sound icon.
5. To unmute the assignment, click the drop-down menu and click the Unmute Assignment link.