How to Prepare for the Fair
10 tips to optimize your success at mini BIG Fair:
- Consider volunteering at mini BIG Fair! Join our team of Fair Ambassadors for a great experience and many benefits.
- View the list of participating exhibitors in the Exhibitor List on one of the ribbons above.
- Use the Exhibitor List and other resources to research the companies, organizations, and graduate schools/professional programs that you are interested in visiting.
- See if there are any job postings available. If so, target your resume appropriately to hand out during the event day. (See a Career Advisor for resume help.)
- Once you RSVP in Eventbrite, you will receive an email confirmation. A couple weeks prior to the fair, we will send you a Do's & Don'ts Tips Sheet for preparation.
- Practice how to introduce yourself to an employer (see our Do's & Dont's list or book a "Networking" advising appointment with Career Services). Check out this video for some ideas: The Career Fair (Elevator) Pitch.
- Dress to impress! Although you may not need to dress formally for classes that day, we recommend that you arrive at the event in business wear (nice pants and shirt - avoid jeans and t-shirts). Look professional, enthusiastic and stay positive.
- During mini BIG Fair, participate in our various social media contests and campaigns on Twitter & Facebook. More details to come! #SFUfairs
- Update and review your resume and cover letter. Before the event contact and book an appointment with the Career Services.
- Need further career related help? Make an appointment with a Career Advisor for one-on-one advising, please call the Career Centre at 778-782-3106.