- About us
- Community Connect: Program Activator
- Early Learning For Families: Program Assistant
- English Conversation Circles: Conversation Facilitator
- Game On!: Program Mentor
- Media Minds: Workshop Facilitator
- Mentoring with Math: Math Mentor
- Pathways to Education: Youth Engagement Facilitator
- Racing Readers: Lead Volunteer
- Racing Readers: Program Volunteer
- Youth Leadership Development Program: Assistant Facilitator
- Youth Integration Program: Facilitator Assistant
Programs & activities
- Bundle Up Campaign
- Central City Learning Garden
- Community Connect Program
- Early Learning Program
- English Conversation Circles
- Game On!
- Halloween Trick-Or-Treat Outreach
- Inclusive City Cafe
- Learning Buddies
- Media Minds
- Mentoring with Math
- Pathways to Education
- Plenty of Threads
- Racing Readers
- Science Alive
- TD Bank Panel Event
- Tutoring, Homework and English Support
- YMCA Youth Leadership Development Program
- Y Mind - Youth Mindfulness Program
- Youth Integration Program
- Contact us
- Apply now!
Early Learning Program
Commitment to Early Learning
Responding to research that reaffirms the growing consensus that Early Learning activity is crucial to a child’s development, The Surrey School District has made Early Learning a priority area of focus. Existing initiatives for pre-school aged children and their families are among those most sought after and they often operate at or over capacity.
One of the greatest benefits of these programs is that families become comfortable with the school system prior to enrolment. This early integration has allowed the identification and elimination of barriers that families face in their dealings with the education system. For this reason, Early Learning has proved to be an invaluable strategy in ensuring the long-term success of students in Surrey. Feedback from teachers is that they can tell which students have come through a formalized Early Learning program.
Bringing Early Learning programs to Central City
The Surrey School District, the SFU Surrey-TD CEC, and Blackwood Partners have teamed up to run a pilot project in Central City Mall. Modeled after existing Early Learning initiatives, this exciting initiative will bring the school district's programming out of the schools and into the public arena, reaching new families.
Some of the fundamental characteristics of the program are:
- Child-centered, play-based learning
- Parent engagement
- Accredited facilitators modeling best educational and parenting practices
- Focus on early literacy and numeracy
- Providing links and referrals to School District and Community resources
Interested in volunteering? We're currently recruiting volunteers!
The program will run from 12pm-3:30pm on Wednesdays. Volunteers will be required to commit to at least one semester. We encourage you to volunteer for more than one semester if you can! Volunteers will need to be prepared to commit to attending the program every week during the agreed upon semester(s). Activities will include colouring, drawing, reading, toys and much more! If you are interested in this opportunity, please send an email to email@example.com with a brief summary of yourself: name, program, any relevant previous experience or training and your expected availability. You will be required to be available for a quick pre-screening interview by phone at a time that is convenient for you.