- About us
- Get involved
Programs & events
- BC Newcomer After-School Programs (virtual & on-site)
- Bridge Program
- Central City Learning Garden (on-site)
- CommuniCreate (virtual)
- Connect Through Homework & Reading (virtual)
- DIVERSEYouth Expressions (virtual)
- DY Youth Mentoring Cafes (virtual)
- English Conversation Groups (virtual)
- Learning Buddies (virtual-summer only)
- LINC Language for Newcomers (virtual)
- Media Minds (virtual)
- Mentoring with Math (virtual)
- Racing Readers (virtual)
- Red Fox Youth Cafes (virtual)
- Science Alive (virtual-summer only)
- Tutoring, Homework and English Support (virtual)
- YMCA Youth Leadership Development Program
- Pathways to Education
- Suspended programs
- Active programs
- Volunteer Training Program
- Blog & News
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
BC Newcomer After-School Programs (virtual & on-site)
The British Columbia Newcomer Camp Association (BC Newcomer Camp) is a Canadian registered charity that operates free programming for recently arrived refugee children and youth and have been operating summer camps for the last 4 summers and growing steadily each year. This year, due to Covid-19, BC Newcomer Camp pivoted programming to an online curriculum providing English language education, online games and activities, sing-a-longs, cooking and nutrition education, and overall support to the children in learning about Canadian culture to be able to integrate into their new home and feel welcomed.
The SFU Surrey - TD Community Engagement Centre is working with BC Newcomer Camps to launch two new pilot after-school programs that run throughout the school year!
“Welcome to Canada” is a new after-school program for refugee children and youth ages 6-16 years old. Participants are enrolled for a minimum of 3 months and can continue longer if they wish. Each participant attends two 1.5-hour sessions per week. The program is delivered in a virtual setting in response to Covid-19.
"Newcomer to Notes" is a free music education program for newcomer refugee children. The lessons are delivered in-person by experienced musicians. Instruments and music books are provided. Music education curriculum includes music theory, note reading, and hands-on training to play piano.
Are you an SFU student interested in volunteering for this program?
Contact Trisha Dulku at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
- Apply for current volunteer/work positions
- Join the Community Engagement Volunteer training program
- Subscribe to our email newsletter
- Email us at: email@example.com
Interested in our programs & events?
Partner with us:
- For partnership, please contact Trisha Dulku or call 604-715-6457