- About CEE
- Crowdmark: A more efficient way to grade student assessments
- The unexpected benefits of a shorter syllabus
- Photo gallery: Talking shop at Teaching Matters
- Watch the video: Faculty members discuss SFU's new instructor-led online course model
- Bridges and booster rockets: CEE's new senior director talks about teaching support
- Meet the Centre for Educational Excellence leadership team
- A biology instructor rethought her students’ role—and her own
- Photo gallery: SFU’s 24th Annual Spring TA/TM Day
- Photo gallery: SFU's 9th Annual Winter Warm-up
- If you build it, will they come?
- “My students didn’t look like they were having fun”: Three additions to the TA/TM Stories podcast series
- View the furniture, share your thoughts—online
- An upgraded Canvas Gradebook is coming in January
- Share your thoughts on the furniture in SFU classrooms
- DEMOfest presenter slides
- Photo gallery: 5th Annual DEMOfest
- Teamwork needs to be taught
- TA/TM Stories: Three new podcasts explore the teaching experiences of grad students
- Can it be done? A math instructor attempts to indigenize her course
- Answers to your questions about SFU's new approach to online education
- Photo gallery: The CEE Open House
- Do you know your faculty teaching fellow?
- Instructor-led online courses: How one faculty member prepared for the new model
- Photo gallery: SFU's 34th Annual Fall TA/TM Day draws a crowd
- Connecting people and crossing artificial divides: An interview with Elizabeth Elle
- Sessional instructors can now be included in online course evaluations
- Don't say this to your class—a student shares his experience
- How one lecturer is using podcasts to make course concepts more real in her online course
- Photo gallery: Rain, burgers and smiles at the 2019 President's Employee BBQ
- Five questions and answers about the creation of CEE
- A redesign made this course more engaging for students—and the instructor
- How can we support remote instruction at SFU?
- CEE Staff Login
TA/TM Stories: Three new podcasts explore the teaching experiences of grad students
By Centre for Educational Excellence staff
A new podcast series produced by Jackie Amsden and Duane Woods of the Centre for Educational Excellence offers first-person accounts of life as an SFU teaching assistant or sessional instructor.
Each episode in the six-part series explores a different perspective through interviews with one or two graduate students. Episodes 1 to 3, released in early November, focus on “The Move from TA to Sessional,” “Life in the Lab” and “The Experience of an International Student.” The remaining episodes will be published in December.
For faculty members, the podcasts provide insights into how they can help grad students succeed in teaching support roles. For grad students who are finding their way as TAs or sessional instructors, they offer the reassurance that others have shared and overcome the same situations and insecurities they face, and they supply helpful tips and suggestions.
Listen to episodes 1 to 3 now.
1. TA/TM Stories: The Move from TA to Sessional
With Dasha Gluhareva and Kelli Finney
“When you’re a sessional, there’s no one else. It’s just you.”
2. TA/TM Stories: Life in the Lab
With David Ester and Emily Betz
“Don’t worry about having all the answers. Just be open and forthcoming.”
3. TA/TM Stories: The Experience of an International Student
With Natalia Perez
“Everything is different here […] There are different codes, but no one really tells you what those codes are.”