Graduate Scholarships & Awards
We encourage students to apply for both internal and external scholarships and awards. The Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website is your go-to resource for Scholarships and Awards. Click here for further information and a link to the Graduate Award Application System (GA3).
See also: Financial Information
Travel and Minor Research Awards
The Department of Chemistry Graduate Studies Committee (DGSC) holds annual poster and oral presentation competitions. These friendly competitions offer graduate students an opportunity to present their research. Winners are offered $1,000 to attend a conference of their choice.
The DGSC also offers graduate students who competed but did not win to receive a Special Canadian Chemistry Society award to attend the upcoming CSC.
The DGSC top priority is to support new graduate students in SFU Chemistry with a CGPA of 3.5 or greater who have not previously been awarded a Graduate Fellowships. Subsequent Graduate Fellowship will be awarded based on publication or otherwise demonstrate notable progress in their research. No Graduate Fellowships will be awarded if a student ever received an unsatisfactory report. Only students in good standing within the time limit will be eligible.
SFU Bruker Prize in Chemical Spectroscopy
This award seeks to recognize the excellence of chemistry students and post-docs in applying advanced spectroscopic methods to solving chemical problems. Applications are encouraged where students have used cutting-edge techniques, developed new experimental methods, or performed detailed theoretical analyses of spectroscopic data. To demonstrate the impact of this work, it must have been published or be “in-press” in an internationally recognized journal. It is expected that the applicant will usually be the first author on this publication and that the spectroscopic studies will be the major focus of the published work.
The definition of “spectroscopy” will be interpreted quite liberally, at the discretion of the Departmental Equipment Committee, and candidates are encouraged to consult directly with the chair of the committee (Charles Walsby, firstname.lastname@example.org) to determine if their work is appropriate for the award. It should be noted that the research forming the basis of the application need not be conducted on Bruker equipment to be eligible.
Materials required for application – email to Charles Walsby <email@example.com>
1) Application form, signed and dated (scanned as a PDF file)
2) The published journal article, including supplementary materials (PDF file)
SFU NMR & Mass Spectroscopy Award
This award recognizes outstanding research by a graduate student in the Department of Chemistry where nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and/or Mass Spectroscopy have been used to solve interesting chemical problems. Factors that will be judged include: (i) design and quality of experiments, (ii) quality of data analysis, (iii) the importance of the NMR and/or Mass Spec. analysis to the overall paper, (iv) complexity of methods used, and (v) the specific work conducted by the applicant. To demonstrate the impact of this work, it must have been published or be “in-press” in an internationally recognized journal. It is expected that the applicant will be the first author on this publication. However, publications where the applicant was not first author but conducted critical, and extensive, NMR and/or Mass Spec. studies will also be considered.
Materials required for application - email to Charles Walsby <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Application form, signed and dated (scanned as a PDF file)
- The published journal article, including supplementary materials (PDF file)
Other Chemistry Awards
- BCAA Environmental Studies in Transportation Award
- Dr. Hari Sharma Foundation Annual Graduate Scholarship
- Hargreaves Scholarship in Sciences and Applied Sciences
- IODE Seaman Morley Scott Memorial Graduate Scholarship
- John D'Auria Memorial Graduate Scholarship in Chemistry and Physics
- Knud George Pederson International Graduate Students Fund Endowment
- Robert Russell Family First Nations Graduate Award
- Sidney Hogg Memorial Graduate Scholarship
- Sulzer (Binham) Pumps Inc. Graduate Scholarship
- Waterhouse Graduate Fellowship in Organizational Change and Innovation
- William & Ada Isabelle Steel Memorial Graduate Scholarship