- Current Students
- Community & Events
Faculty and Research
- Cait McKinney receives the 2021 Gertrude J. Robinson Award
- Ellen Balka and UBC researchers take aim at preventing adverse drug events
- Knowledge Mobilizers: Ahmed Al-Rawi
- Enda Brophy receives Confederation of University Faculty Associations of BC Academic of the Year award
- Ahmed Al-Rawi: How did Russian and Iranian trolls’ disinformation influence Canadian politics?
- Martin Laba: What I'm learning about remote teaching
- The Digital Democracies Institute launch the DDI Blog
- Ahmed Al-Rawi co-authors The COVID-19 Vaccine Communication Handbook
- Listening to the city: Livable Soundscapes soundwalk research workshop
- Labour challenges of food delivery service workers in Metro Vancouver
- Sun-ha Hong: Big Data's promise to solve society's problems falls short
- Welcoming our new School Chairs
- Welcoming Zoë Druick as the new CMNS Director
- Peter Chow-White: Social media during a crisis and how we stay connected
- Transforming Discourses, Information Flows, and Power because: BLACK LIVES MATTER!
- Communication professors developing tools to tackle online abuse
- Communications professor Adel Iskandar embraces storytelling and active dialogue
- COVID-19 Research Information
- Yuezhi Zhao receives Canada's highest academic honour
- Siyuan Yin: On the intersectional approach to researching global migration
- Dal Yong Jin receives the title Distinguished SFU Professor
- Steven Malcic: Envision policy frameworks and user tactics to foster an internet that works for us
- Aleena Chia: Inspired to uncover the infrastructures behind addiction vs engagement in the gaming industry
- Cait McKinney: The transformative history of LGBTQ communities and their communication needs
- Assistant Professors receive SHRCC Grant
- Ellen Balka - implements software to reduce preventable adverse drug events
- Ellen Balka Receives the Paz Buttedahl Career Achievement Award
- Robert Anderson receives the 2018 Chris Dagg Award for International Impact
- Student Stories
- Influential Alumni
- School News
- Faculty and Research
- Careers & Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Login
Cait McKinney receives the 2021 Gertrude J. Robinson Award
Cait McKinney, assistant professor in the School of Communication received the 2021 Gertrude J. Robinson Award "Best Book of the Year" from the Canadian Communication Association for the 2020 book Information Activism: A Queer History of Lesbian Media Technologies. The book explores sexuality studies, media history and how the access to information and media technologies brought people together to organize and build social justice movements.
The award is named in honour of the many contributions of Professor Gertrude J. Robinson to the discipline of communication in Canada and around the world and honours the best in Canadian communications scholarship. Congratulations!
“What We Can Learn About Activism Today in the Archives of Queer History,” The Nation, January 5, 2021.
Past recipients of the Gertrude J. Robinson Award include faculty members in the School of Communication:
- 2020. Nick Dyer-Witheford and Svitlana Matviyenko. Cyberwar and Revolution: Digital Subterfuge in Global Capitalism . University of Minnesota Press.
- 2018. Enda Brophy. Language Put to Work: The Making of the Global Call Center Workforce . Palgrave Macmillan.