- Current Students
- Community & Events
- Careers & Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Login
Book an Advisor
Booking an Appointment
Please bring a printed copy of your current Advising Transcript (sorted by "Both") to every advising meeting.
*During enrollment periods, time-sensitive enrollment issues will take priority and drop-in advising availability will increase.
The Communication Advising office is in K9650 in Burnaby and HC 3574 in Vancouver. Our advising area in Surrey is located in the SIAT Administrative Office in Podium 2 level of the campus.
Printing Your Advising Transcript
Please bring a copy of your advising transcript with you.
- Visit go.sfu.ca
- In your main dashboard, click on the dropbox other academics
- Select Transcript: Advising
- *Sort By: Both
Advising Hours: Important Notice
As as of Tuesday, March 17th, a state of emergency has been issued for the province of British Columbia around the recent COVID-19 outbreaks across the globe.
Simon Fraser University is committed to the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff. The School of Communication has decided to move to remote advising at this time in order to protect our students and staff. In-person advising is not available until further notice.
Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm.
Phone or video conferencing advising
By appointment, from 1-3pm daily.
Email your advisor to set up an appointment.
Please include your full name and student number in all advising requests.
Health and Counselling Services
Health and Counselling Services are still available; however, please call ahead to book an appointment or to access any of their services.
- Support and FAQs for students regarding COVID-19.
- SFU students (Grad & UGrad) can access free, immediate support 24/7 (chat or phone) with My SSP (Student Support Program).
- Option to phone and pre-book appointments - request video, phone or in-person appointments, as well as language options.
- Download the My SSP app to access articles and strategies to stay healthy and connected.
- Call 1.844.451.9700 (CAN/ US) or 001.416.380.6578 (international, charges may apply) to access My SSP by phone.
For more information about how COVID-19 is impacting the university community, please visit the FAQ page.
Who Should I See?
Students can see any CMNS advisor during drop-in hours
- Future Students
- 0-30 Units
- New students (including transfer students)
- Current CMNS students (Major and Joint Major) with 30 units or less completed
- SFU students who are intending to transfer into CMNS
- SFU students with 30 or less completed units who are intending to transfer into CMNS
Room: K9650 (next to BPK)
- 31 to 60 units
- Current CMNS students (Major and Joint Major) with 31 to 60 units completed
- Post Baccalaureate Diploma Program
- Dialogue Minor Program
- Communication Minor and Extended Minor Programs
- Second Degree students
- SFU students with 31-60 completed units who are intending to transfer into CMNS
- 61 units to degree completion
- Current CMNS students (Major and Joint Major) with 61 units or more completed
- Communication Honours Program
- SFU students with 61 or more completed units who are intending to transfer into CMNS