Presentations, Talks & Workshops
- “Disinformation discourses in Canadian news media”. with Joseph Nicolai. The Canadian Communication Association, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, June 4, 2021 (Virtual presentation).
- “The weaponizing of fake news in the Facebook ads targeting Canadians” with Abdelrahman Fakida. The 71st Annual ICA Conference, Engaging the Essential Work of Care, May 27-31, 2021 (Virtual presentation).
- “Covid-19 in North America: Managing the risks of discrimination of marginalized populations” with Lea Hellmueller. Panel on Cross-Cultural Approaches to Identifying Pressures on Journalists Covering COVID-19: A Project of the Global Risk Journalism Hub. The 71st Annual ICA Conference, Engaging the Essential Work of Care, May 27-31, 2021 (Virtual presentation).
- Al-Rawi participated with a number of cognitive scientists in the SciBeh 2020 Virtual Workshop on "Building an online information environment for policy relevant science"- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with lessons from climate change denial.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Disinformation and bad actors”, Canadian Science Policy Pre-Conference - Building Bridges between Science, Policy and Society- Limiting the Impact of Misinformation and Disinformation; Planning, Recognition, and Response, Ottawa, Canada, November 3-15, 2020 (Virtual).
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Instagram’s memes on fake news,” the 70th Annual ICA Conference, Open Communication, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, May 21-25, 2020 (Virtual presentation).
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Kek’s memes war on Instagram”, the 70th ICA preconference - Visual Politics: Image Production, Perception, and Influence, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, May 21, 2020 (Virtual presentation).
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Russian Trolls’ Representation of Islam on Social Media”. Centre for Comparative Muslim Studies, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, 7 November, 2019.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Facts or Fiction? Misinformation, Media and the Canadian Election”, SFU Public Square, Strengthening Canadian Democracy Initiative, Vancouver Public Library, October 17, 2019.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Fake news on Instagram”, the 1st Tsinghua TransCultural Communication Roundtable. Transcultural Solidarities across Global Divides: Histories, Institutions and Agencies. Future Media Lab, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, October 12, 2019.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. "Fake news in Canada" at “Fake vs. Fact: A Free Journalism Workshop Series”. New Canadian Media & the Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, September 28, 2019.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. "Fake news and the war on truth" at “Fake vs. Fact: A Free Journalism Workshop Series”. New Canadian Media & the School of Journalism, Mount Royal University, Calgary, September 27, 2019.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Manufacturing rage: The Russian Internet Research Agency’s political astroturfing on social media”, with Anis Rahman, the Canadian Communication Association, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, June 3-6, 2019.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. "Fake news discourses on Instagram", Simon Fraser University’s Public Square event “Confronting the Disinformation Age: 2019 Community Summit- Innovations in Research”. April 10, 2019.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. “Topic modelling & fake news discourses on MSM vs. SNS”. Symposium on Public Discourse and Data Science, Big Data Hub, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada, October 12, 2018.
- Ahmed Al-Rawi. "What the fake? An analysis of online media dissemination and the bot-assisted amplification of fake news”. In Internet, Politics, Policy 2018: Long Live Democracy? St Anne's College, University of Oxford, UK, September 20-21, 2018.