I am an Assistant Professor of News, Social Media, and Public Communication at the School of Communication at Simon Fraser University where I am also the Director of The Disinformation Project.
I began my full time media career in 2002 by serving as a Communication Officer and later a Spokesperson for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Iraq. I also worked as a freelance radio correspondent for a couple of US-based radio stations and briefly as an editor for CNN Arabic bureau in Dubai, the UAE.
In 2006, I started my full-time academic career mostly teaching in the Sultanate of Oman, the Netherlands, and Canada. I served as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Media & Communication at Erasmus University in the Netherlands (2011-2014) and later as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Communication Studies at Concordia University in Canada (2015-2018).
- 2008-2012 - Ph.D., Media & Communication Studies, University of Leicester, UK. The thesis is entitled "TV coverage of the 2010 elections in Iraq: A study of the evening newscasts of four Iraqi satellite channels".
- 1999-2004 – Ph.D., English Literature, College of Arts, Baghdad University, Iraq.
- 1997-1999 - M.A., English Literature, College of Arts, Baghdad University, Iraq.
- 1994-1997 - B.A., English Language & Literature, Al-Ma’mon University College, Baghdad, Iraq.
This instructor is currently not teaching any courses.
- Al-Rawi, A. (2021). Cyberwars in the Middle East. New Jersey: Rutgers University Press.
- Al-Rawi, A. (2020). Women’s activism and new media in the Arab world. New York: State University of New York Press.
- Al-Rawi, A. (2020). News 2.0: Journalists, audiences and news on social media. New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Al-Rawi, A. (2017). Islam on YouTube: Online debates, protests and extremism. London: Springer/Palgrave Macmillan.
- Al-Rawi, A. (2012). Media practice in Iraq. Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ahadi, D, Yu, S., & Al-Rawi, A. (Eds.). (2022, forthcoming). A handbook of ethnic Canadian media. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Karim, K., & Al-Rawi, A. (Eds.) (2018). Diaspora and media in Europe: Migration, identity, and integration. London: Springer/Palgrave Macmillan.
- Al-Rawi, A. (ed.) (2006). Khalid Habib Al-Rawi: The complete literary works. Introduced by A. Al-Rawi. Baghdad: Ekal Printing House. (In Arabic - 512 pages).
Social media, News, Computational journalism, Popular culture, International communication, Disinformation, Digital research methods.