Visa requirements

You will need a student visa to study in China for the years you will be at ZJU. This can only be obtained after you have been formally admitted to ZJU as a student. Once you are accepted by ZJU, they will supply you with a Letter of Acceptance and the approved Visa Application Form for International Students (JW202 form). You will need these as part of the student visa application that you will submit to the Chinese Visa Application Service Center as instructed by the Consulate-General of the People’s Republic of China in Vancouver.

It is your responsibility to determine whether you require additional visas to enter any other countries you may wish to visit during your studies in China. You can contact the appropriate Consular office or visit the appropriate websites to find this information. For links to many Embassy websites, go to

Applying for your China Student Visa (X-visa)

As a Dual Degree Program participant you must apply for a 3-month single entry visa, and then obtain a residence permit from the Exit and Entry Department of the local Public Security Bureau within 30 days of your arrival in China. The residence permit will give you the legal right to live in China and will replace your student visa. With your residence permit you will be able to travel back and forth between China and Canada without the need for a visa.

To obtain your 3-month, single entry, X1 visa, you will need to gather the following documents for submission to the Chinese Visa Application Service Center.

1) A passport valid for at least 6 months (Photocopy the info page of your passport)
2) Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW202 form) issued by the Ministry of Education in China – original and photocopy
3) Admission Notice from ZJU – original and photocopy
4) Visa Application form of the People's Republic of China:
     - Please refer to the enclosed sample Visa Application Form when filling out the application form
     Do not leave any areas blank – write “N/A” for questions where you do not need to provide an answer
5) 48mm X 33mm colour photograph, taken against a plain white background (professionally taken). Detailed photo requirements are provided by the China Visa Application Service Center. Refer to the Chinese version for samples of acceptable photo.

You may also need to provide other documents. Please make sure you check the Visa Instructions on the Chinese Visa Application Service Center website for requirements specific to your own individual circumstances.

Note: If you are a non-Canadian DDP student, you must bring your temporary resident visa and your study permit issued by the CIC at the time you make your application.

When to apply for your visa

Visa processing time is approximately five to seven working days. You are advised to apply for your visa about one month in advance of the date you will arrive in China, and definitely no sooner than three months in advance, as your visa may expire.

The Dual Degree Program office will assist you with this process; however, it is your responsibility to prepare all necessary documentation by the specified deadlines.

Visa processing costs

The processing cost of a China Student Visa depends on the speed of service required, the duration of the visa and the number of times the visa allows re-entry into the country.

Please pay special attention to the payment methods (cash, debit card and money order) specified by the Service Center.


You must obtain a passport before you can apply for a visa. Passport applications, instructions, and locations of local passport offices can be found at Please note that passport processing may take 10–15 working days or sometimes longer.

The Chinese consulate requires a passport that has minimum six months' validity from the date you submit the application.

Renewing a passport abroad can be complicated, so we highly recommend that DDP students have a passport that will be valid for 2 years beyond their first date of entry to China with the Program.

Health Insurance

Students are responsible for ensuring to obtain appropriate extended medical or health insurance according to their own needs before departing to China.  The insurance must cover you for the duration of your studies in China (including any additional travel).

Packing list

To help make sure you have everything you need when you make the move to China, we've compiled a list of all the things you will need when you finally pack your suitcase. When you are ready to pack, you can download your PDF copy here: China is calling: your ultimate packing checklist.pdf

In the meantime, here is a list of commonly-forgotten essentials:

- Adaptor (the voltage for daily use in China is 220 V)
- Vaccination certificates
- Passport
- Visa documentation
- Insurance documentation, including emergency contact numbers
- ATM cards
- International telephone numbers for your bank
- International Student Identification Card (ISIC)

Health and hygiene:
- Deodorant (not readily available in China, and very expensive)
- Any medications recommended by your doctor
- Healthy Travel Packing List for Travels to China
- Travel Health Kit

extra resources

36 Awesome Resources for Studying Aborad in China: