How do I apply?
SFU’s application system is electronic.

Which program should I select?
Applicants will be able to choose between the following programs:

Environmental Resource Management Non-Degree
Applicants should select this option if they are not seeking a degree but just want to take a single class. 

Resource Management Ph.D.
Applicants who are interested in the PhD program should select this option. 

Master in Resource Management
Applicants who are interested in the MRM (Master of Resource Management degree) should select this option.

MRM applicants will then have to select the correct specialization.
Select Resource Mgmt MRM Thesis for the thesis stream.
Select Resource Mgmt Course-based Stream for those students who want to do the course based (project) MRM or the MRM Planning degree.  

I don’t have a credit card, how do I pay my application fees?
Applicants can pay these fees in person, through online banking or by wire transfer. Once the payment is received by SFU, your account is credited and the application is released. It is very important that the student number and student name is received with the wire transfer. See how to pay for more details. 

I applied online but my application has been deleted / is no longer active / cannot be found
SFU’s online application system stores incomplete applications for 8 days before the system automatically clears them. An application is incomplete when information is missing AND / OR the processing fee CA$90 (CA$125 for international students) has not been paid. You will have to submit another, complete, application if your previous application was purged from the system. There is no way for us to recover your old application.

When can I apply?
REM accepts new students for the fall semester only. The application system is active from October 1st until January 25th

Where do I send my transcripts, references, and supporting documents?
All supporting documents must be uploaded directly into SFUs online application system. You will be prompted for uploads as soon as you start your application. Your referees will be asked to log into the system and provide electronic references. Do not send any documents to the department unless we specifically ask for it. We will ask for original transcripts if necessary. Do not send them to us unless we request documents. You can speed up the process by having original transcripts on hand in the unopened envelopes as issued by the University. 

Do I need to submit GRE scores?
You must submit general (not subject based) GRE scores if you are applying for entrance into the Ph.D. program. You do not have to submit GRE scores if you are applying for entrance into the MRM program. If you have high scores it can be an asset. If your GRE scores are not very high it can be a liability and you should not submit them with your MRM application. The university and department code for the GRE is 0999 (SFU) and 0110 (REM). Information on how to interpret test results can be found here.

Do I need to submit an English Language Test?
If your native language is not English you must provide proof of English language competency. We accept: TOEFL 580 (paper based) and TWE 5, TOEFL 93 (internet based - minimum of 20 in each module), IELTS overall band score of 7.0 of the academic (NOT general) test with a minimum of 6.5 in each section. The university and department code for the TOEFL is 0999 (SFU) and 46 (REM). International applicants whose primary language is not English will not be required to complete an English-language test if they have completed a degree at an institution where the language of instruction and examination was in English in a country where English is the primary language. It should be noted that in order to maintain a high academic standard, very few waivers are granted. Therefore, it is recommended that those applicants whose primary language is not English submit an English language proficiency test with their application. For more information see the Dean of Graduate Studies website

Can I submit copies, e-mail scans, or fax my transcripts and references?
We do not accept copes, scans, faxes, e-mails with application documents. All documents must be uploaded through the SFU online application system.

My previous degree(s) is (are) not from a Canadian university. How do they compare?
The minimum requirement for admission to graduate school is a Bachelor degree with a B average (70% or 3.00 GPA). International applicants, please refer to the SFU site for GPA conversion guidelines.

Which statistics course shall I take to qualify?
It depends on your area of research. Some groups are statistics heavy and a basic course would not be sufficient. The only way to be certain is to contact faculty members of the research group and inquire.

Do I need a supervisor to be admitted to REM?
We do not admit students unless a faculty member is available to act as the student’s senior supervisor. It is important to research our website and find a good match. You do not have to contact faculty and get a commitment but it is an advantage to communicate with faculty prior to applying to REM.

I do not meet the minimum requirements, what options do I have?
Conditional Admission: if you expect to fulfill all requirements before the start of the semester for which you are applying then you can be admitted conditionally. For example, the student is taking the stats course during the summer semester, or the degree will be conferred by the end of the summer semester.
Non-Degree Seeking Applicant: a person who meets minimum university admission requirements but is not working towards a degree at REM can take up to two (2) courses if the instructor of the course grants permission and the class is not full.
Qualifying Admission: An applicant who does not meet the minimum GPA requirements of SFU can be admitted as a qualifying student for up to three (3) semesters to take undergraduate courses and improve his/her GPA. Completion of the qualifying program does NOT guarantee admission into the REM program.

I missed the deadline, can I still apply?
The online application system automatically shuts down for our department and we do not accept new applications after 25 January. Referees have until 1 February to complete their reference. It is not available after the deadline has passed. An applicant who has been in contact with and encouraged by one of our faculty members to apply late should contact the REM office.

Where can I find more information for International Students?
International Services for Students

I have been accepted, how do I pay my deposit?
Click here for detailed instructions.

How much is tuition and what additional fees do I have to pay? 
REM Graduate Students (MRM and Ph.D.) register and pay tuition as full time students, each semester (3 times per year). Current full time tuition for Graduate Students is $1,871.33 (per term). For more information on tuition and other student fees see www.sfu.ca/students/fees.

I’m an international student, how much tuition do I pay?
International graduate students pay the same tuition as Canadian graduate students. Tuition fees for undergraduate students are different and international undergraduate students pay higher tuition. For more information on tuition see Fees.

I’m on the waiting (reversion) list. When will I find out if I have been admitted?
REM does not keep a centralized waiting list. Each faculty member has their own list and staff won’t be able to answer questions regarding the waiting list. All inquiries should be directed to the faculty member – preferably via e-mail.

Do I need a visa to study in Canada? 
All international students require a study permit to study in a course or program that’s 6 months or longer. Acceptance letters are sent via e-mail.

When will I be notified if I have been accepted or not? 
Our selection process can take up to 6 weeks. Most applicants can expect to hear from us in late April or early May.