Aboriginal students receive grants
Dixon Tam, SFU media relations, 778.782.8742, firstname.lastname@example.org
Five Simon Fraser University students are this year’s recipients of B.C. Aboriginal Student Awards from the Irving K. Barber B.C. Scholarship Society.
Here are the recipients from SFU, along with what they’re studying and the amount of their award:
- Melinda Mack (Maple Ridge), business, $3,500
- Michael Bellegarde (Vancouver), social sciences, $1,000
- Stephanie Decicco (Coquitlam), education, $2,500
- Tamara Morrison (Vancouver), communication, $3,500
- Alissa Derrick (Vancouver), criminology, $2,500
The award is available thanks to a $10-million endowment fund established by the B.C. provincial government in 2007 as part of its strategy to improve Aboriginal achievement and access to education. Awards of $1,000 to $3,500 are given annually to Aboriginal students pursuing post-secondary education in B.C.
-- 30 --