surrey home page
Media Advisory: Future of learning — a presentation at SFU
Paul Cappon, a prominent educator, doctor and administrator, will present a free public lecture —What is the future of learning in Canada? — at the Diamond Alumni Centre, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby campus on Tuesday, Oct. 25.
Cappon, the president and CEO of the Canadian Council on Learning (CCL), will make his presentation from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Media are welcome.
Cappon’s presentation will cover findings in the CCL’s final report on lifelong learning conditions in Canada, released earlier this year. Among the key findings and points to be covered by Cappon are:
- Canada is slipping down the learning curve
- Canada is losing ground in innovation, research and development
- How Canada’s slide down the international learning curve is affecting the country’s economic stability and social cohesion
- Specific means and mechanisms Canada must consider to meet its difficult national learning challenges
- The future of lifelong learning in Canada
The CCL is an independent, non-profit corporation that promotes and supports research to improve all aspects of learning nationwide and across all walks of life. The federal government created the CCL in 2004 following a series of nationwide consultations on innovation.
The archived video webcast and powerpoint slides can be seen here: http://www.tlcentre.sfu.ca/news/futureoflearningcappon/