Media Democracy Day expands to three-day event
Kathleen Cross, 778.782.3861, 604.868.7568 (cell), email@example.com
Stuart Poyntz, 778.782.7293, 604.720.8202 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org
Fiona Burrows, PAMR, 778.782.3928, email@example.com
Vancouver’s Media Democracy Day (MDD) is expanding to a three-day event, Nov. 11-13, for the first time in its 11-year history. Since its inception, the annual event is co-sponsored by Simon Fraser University’s School of Communication to counter corporate media concentration and support independent and public service media.
Several people with ties to SFU will be presenters, including:
- Kathleen Cross is a lecturer in SFU communication and the Canadian national coordinator for the Global Media Monitoring Project, an international initiative that focuses on gender representation in the news media in more than 100 countries.
- Robert Hackett has taught in SFU communication since 1984. From 1993 to 2003, he co-directed NewsWatch Canada, a news media monitoring project based at SFU.
- Stuart Poyntz is a social media expert and a principal in the continuing study of youth digital media ecologies in Canada.
- Katie Raso, an SFU communication graduate student, was an organizer of the Vancouver Slutwalk in May. The event drew hundreds of people to fight the blaming of victims in sexual assaults.
- Sut Jhally, a keynote speaker, is one of the first people to receive a PhD in communication at SFU. He is currently a communication professor at the University of Massachusetts and founder and executive director of the Media Education Foundation.
Media Democracy Days is a partnership project involving SFU communication and is co-sponsored by several offices at SFU, including the Office of the President, the office of the Vice-President Academic, and SFU’s Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology, and is supported by SFU’s Morgan Centre for Labour Studies.
The events takes place at several downtown Vancouver locations, including SFU’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, 149 West Hastings St.
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=279474075409688
-- 30 --