Understanding cities and empowering its residents to shape its future is at the heart of the City Program at SFU Continuing Studies.
Led by director Andy Yan, the City Program convenes practitioners, scholars and teachers from various community building and research fields to teach in our professional development courses. Our courses are open to those who are new to the fields of design, planning and development, as well as to seasoned professionals.
Courses and events
Look for our courses under urban planning and development.
- 2017 Planning Institute of British Columbia—Individual Achievement – Leadership in Advocacy & Innovation, awarded to Andy Yan, our program director
- 2010 Metro Vancouver RAIC Award of Excellence, Advocate of Architecture—Community, awarded to Gordon Price, our program director
- 2007 CAUCE Marketing Award, Canadian Association for University and Continuing Education, Website Category
- 2007 Smart Growth BC's Smarty Award, People Category, awarded to Gordon Price, our program director, for leadership in promoting a smart growth community vision
- 2004 CAUCE Award of Excellence, Canadian Association for University Continuing Education, for the Urban Design Certificate Program
- 2002 Heritage Society of British Columbia Honourable Mention for design and development of continuing education courses for the BC heritage conservation community
- 2001 CAUCE Award of Excellence, Canadian Association for University Continuing Education, for The City Program
- 1999 City of Vancouver Heritage Award of Honour, in recognition of outstanding contribution to heritage advocacy and education in Vancouver
- 1996 City of Vancouver Heritage Award of Honour, in recognition of the Strathcona Residents' Association and the City Program’s Strathcona Front Porch Project