Frequently Asked Questions

Question Topics

Need help? Select a topic below to see some frequently asked questions.

Courses and Registrations

Where do your courses take place?

Simon Fraser University is located in British Columbia, Canada, and has three campuses: in Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey. While undergraduate and graduate courses take place at all three campuses, we offer a number of SFU Continuing Studies courses online or at the Vancouver or Surrey campus. Please check individual course or program pages for the location of your course.

When do your courses start?

SFU Continuing Studies programs begin throughout the year and do not follow the semester system for SFU’s undergraduate and graduate courses. Please check course or program pages for start dates.

What should I do if I don't receive an email about my course?

Visit our Email issues page for step-by-step instructions on marking SFU as a safe sender and further details about known email issues.

What do I do if I forgot my password? How do I reset my password?

If you've forgotten the password you used to register for courses or access your student info, select "Reset Password" from the student account login page. A password reset link will be emailed to you. If you've forgotten the email address you used to create your student account, email for assistance.

Can I take individual courses without enrolling in a program?

Yes, you can register for most of our courses without enrolling in a certificate or diploma program. There are exceptions in a few programs, where certain courses will only be available to students enrolled in the full program. If applicable, this requirement will be noted on the individual course page.

Do I need to apply for admission if I want to take SFU continuing studies courses?

You do not have to apply for admission to register for Continuing Studies courses. But to enroll in a certificate or diploma program, you will need to follow an application process. See individual program pages for details.

What is a cohort program?

Some of our programs are considered cohort programs. This means you will work through the program courses with a group of your peers (called a cohort). Some courses are available only to cohort students—that is, students who have been accepted to and are working through the entire program.

Where can I get help with my online course?

If you have trouble accessing your course in Canvas or experience technical issues.

Visit our Online Learning Technical Support page

Taxes and Funding

Will I receive an income-tax receipt for my tuition?

If your SFU tuition fees exceed $100 in one calendar year, they may qualify as a tax credit. The payment receipt that we’ll email you after you register is your official tax receipt. To determine whether your tuition fees qualify, consult the Canada Revenue Agency guidelines.

How can I get a t2202 tax certificate?

We mail T2202 tax certificates at the end of each February to all students who qualify for an education amount credit on their personal income tax returns. To determine whether a program qualifies, consult the Canada Revenue Agency guidelines. For more information about tax certificates, visit our Tax Information page.

Are scholarships or other funding available?

Limited funding is available depending on the program and your situation.

Visit our Costs and Payments page for more details

Cancellations and Refunds

What is your policy on course cancellations and instructor substitutions?

We reserve the right to substitute instructors or cancel courses without liability. In the event of a cancellation, we will make every effort to give registered students adequate notice. To make this process easier, when you register for courses, please provide full contact information, including your email address(es) and home and business telephone numbers.

What is your policy on program withdrawals and tuition refunds?

Visit our Policies page for our full refund policy.

Transfer Credits

Can I transfer credits from a continuing studies program to an undergraduate or graduate degree?

All courses and programs offered through SFU Continuing Studies are non-credit—they do not carry university credits.

Visit Transfer Credit page for more details

Can I be exempted from a course required in a program if I’ve taken a similar one elsewhere?

When applying to select programs, you may request exemptions for equivalent courses you have completed at SFU or other educational institutions. 

Visit our Course Exemptions page for more details


How do I request a transcript?

How do I request a transcript?

Go to our online form to request a transcript of courses you have completed through SFU Continuing Studies.

When I complete my program, what will my alumni status be?

Graduates of SFU Continuing Studies certificate and diploma programs become SFU alumni, complete with alumni benefits.

Visit Benefits for Alumni page to more details

What do I need to do to graduate?

You can complete the Apply to Graduate form when you are enrolled in the program and have completed all courses. Attendance and participation throughout all courses is mandatory, and some programs evaluate your work on a pass/fail basis, while others assign a letter grade. Check individual program pages for specific details on graduation requirements.

When I finish my certificate or diploma program, will I receive proof of completion?

After you Apply to Graduate, we will submit your name to the Senate Committee on Continuing Studies. Once approved, you will receive an official signed parchment from SFU.

If you require proof of completion sooner, you can Request Your Transcript. Your transcript will show the names of the programs you have completed with the notation GRAD.

 You can also access your grades online. To view and print your grades, log in to your SFU Continuing Studies student account.

Look under:  My Studies > Completed Sections 

See how to view your grades online

When will I receive my parchment?

The SFU Senate Committee on Continuing Studies meets twice a year (May and October) to review and grant certificates and diplomas. You will receive your parchment approximately six weeks after the Senate meeting, if you meet the graduation deadline. (You will need to apply to graduate by April 15 for approval in May, or by September 15 for approval in October.)

Can I request a reprint of my old parchment?

Yes. Contact to request a reprint of your parchment.

Can I send my parchment to another address?

Yes, but we require your permission in writing. When you fill out the Apply to Graduate form, indicate your preferred address in the text box.

What should I do if I finished my courses a few years ago and want to graduate now?

You are still welcome to apply to graduate, even if some time has passed since you completed your last course.

International Students

Is there a different fee structure for international students?

No. Fees for Continuing Studies courses and programs are the same for domestic and international students. All fees are listed in Canadian dollars.

Can I apply for a study permit for SFU continuing studies programs?

A study permit is not needed for short-term courses or programs of study of six months or less. As well, a study permit can’t be issued for courses with SFU Continuing Studies that are fully online because they do not require your presence in Canada. 

For more information on study permits, contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada directly. For undergraduate and graduate students, visit SFU’s Student Services for the permit procedure.