Field Training for Legal Interpreters and Translators
This course is comprised of online court-observation sessions. You observe interpreted court proceedings before class and participate in in-class discussions about them to gain first-hand knowledge of the judicial and quasi-judicial systems where professionally trained and qualified legal interpreters and translators play a key role.
Instructor: Adam Haiou Tan
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Conduct pre-assignment research
- Describe the inner workings of the court system
- Evaluate interpreters’ performances
- Apply what you have learned in the program when working on the professional ethics and conduct section of a certification examination
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Prepare to spend 2–3 hours per week on coursework in addition to attending classes
- Expect lectures, presentations, case studies and discussions
- Participate in supervised practice sessions
- Participate in remote field training by observing live court proceedings
You’ll be evaluated on:
To graduate with the Legal and Interpretation and Translation Certificate, complete all courses with an overall grade of B– (70%).
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.