Legal Interpreting II: Sight Translation
This second skills-based course of the legal interpreting series (LIT150, LIT160 and LIT170) features hands-on exercises. You will first develop your essential sight translation (ST) skills by grasping the basics. Then you will enhance your skills required for sight translation of legal materials by role-playing as legal interpreters. The course ends with a certification examination-style final exam.
Instructor: Adam Haiou Tan
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Conduct subject-matter and background research
- Conduct legal terminology research
- Deliver, in the sight translation mode, legal interpreting performances that meet the expectations of professional standards
- Apply what you have learned in this course when working on the sight translation section of a certification examination
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Prepare to spend 2–3 hours per week on coursework in addition to attending classes
- Expect lectures, presentations, case studies and discussions
- Participate in supervised practice sessions
You’ll be evaluated on:
- Exams and quizzes
To graduate with the Legal and Interpretation and Translation Certificate, complete all courses with an overall grade of B– (70%).
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.